[arin-ppml] Waiting List IPv4 blocks transferred after issuance

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Tue May 28 14:47:23 EDT 2019

On 28 May 2019, at 1:59 PM, Michael B. Williams <Michael.Williams at glexia.com<mailto:Michael.Williams at glexia.com>> wrote:

This is actually very helpful and useful information/ Perhaps any policy written should only require larger blocks to go back to ARIN. In reality, if we're putting a /22 or /21 limit on waitlists and the transfer rates are this low, I am fine not requiring IP blocks to go back to ARIN.

I think this shows that even at the /21 level we do not have ripe transfer abuse for IPs to another organization.

Michael -

While it is true that we haven’t experienced high levels of /22 - /24 transfers of wait list blocks in the past, it’s also been in a period of time when requesting much larger blocks was possible.

With a modest cap on the size of wait list issuance, it is possible that the thwarted demand may reappear as many more smaller block requests, and hence why it is natural to explore additional policy factors (such as lengthy period prohibiting transfers, total resources held, etc.) in a renewed wait list policy.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO