[arin-ppml] Revised - Advisory Council Recommendation Regarding NRPM 4.1.8. Unmet Requests

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Fri May 24 13:55:41 EDT 2019

On Fri, May 24, 2019 at 12:18 PM Michael Williams <
michael.williams at glexia.com> wrote:

> Representing ARIN member organisation GLEXI-3, I disagree with the
> language of this policy proposal. Specifically:
>
> 1) The maximum waitlist size should be a /21

Personally looking at the data I could be convinced /21 is OK from a fraud
prevention perspective. However, there seems to be a strong preference for
aligning with other RIRs on /22. That seems like as good of an argument as
I have seen for what is mostly an arbitrary choice. Do you have a better
argument for why it should be /21? Unfortunately, the arguments for /21
that I remember have mostly boiled down to, "that is what I have been
planning for and need." I need more on why /21 is the right number over
/22.

> 2) The policy should require all IP allocations received from the
> waitlist be returned to ARIN if they are no longer used. IP
> allocations received via the waitlist should not be transferred, sold,
> or otherwise acquired in any other fashion.

I can't support the elimination of M&A and reorganization transfers, ARIN
should not be an impediment to how anyone organizes or reorganizes their
business. There is an argument that completely eliminating transfers just
incents people to go around the registry, reducing its accuracy, and after
3 to 5 years, this shouldn't matter too much anyway, at least I hope that
is the case.

Thanks.
David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE        Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952