[arin-ppml] the bad 240/4 idea, was Solving the squatting problem

Michel Py michel at arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us
Fri May 17 23:11:42 EDT 2019

> Owen DeLong wrote :
> Regardless of the opinion of the IETF (or more accurately certain participants in
> the IETF, since the IETF never made a coordinated statement of any sort of
> WG conclusion that I was off base on that), those were the facts on the ground. [..]

You caught them by surprise though. Was a long time ago, but I remember some pretty intense discussions that had a fairly liberal use of the F word and something about you "daring" them to challenge their point of view. Think of what George Carlin would have said if he was "certain participants" of the IETF.

> You keep saying this as if there was some huge expense to IPv6. I admit I don’t
> know your specific network, but it’s pretty hard to fathom that at this point.

Come visit. It's better than the Smithsonian.
BTW, if someone is interested, I'm about to eWaste a million bucks (then) of DEC hardware running VMS with Alpha processors. Good chances are these are the last EISA machines we have (some are PCI), so there is a large stockpile of EISA spares too. Anyone needs an Adaptec 1742 ? Mylex DAC-960 EISA ? 3COM 3C597 100M Ethernet EISA card ?
If it still is in shrinkwrap, it costs more.
Sorry, you don't get the hard drives.

> Then there’s probably a limit to the amount of time that $job[0]
> will remain able to communicate with the full internet.

It's a blessing. I spend a lot of time making sure it does not.
I have a billion dollars in hardware that does not speak IPv6 and never will.
That is not my problem.

> You quoted 25% and 3% numbers earlier, I don’t know what your source is, but from Google, Facebook, Netflix,
> and Akamai, it looks like something close to 50% of all internet traffic in North America is IPv6. More than
> 50% of all mobile traffic in that same area. World wide the numbers drop some, but they are continuing to rise.

I do not block Google, but I do block Facebook and Netflix. This is not what we pay employees to do.

>> We are heading straight towards the balkanization of the Internet.

> That’s been true to some extent since the early days of IPv6 development. There was always going
> to come some time when the majority of the internet was going to decide that supporting IPv4
> wasn’t worth the cost or hassle any more and at that point, you’d have IPv4 islands in an IPv6 ocean.
> That fits the definition of balkanization[1] for some.

I liked that definition, but that time has come, and gone. It was before the FUD that the Internet would collapse because of a shortage of IPv4 addresses was still a thing.
The world has ran out of IPv4, the Internet is still there, and mine is 0% IPv6. Even by Google standards, we are at about 25%, and it has been slowing down.
https://www.google.com/intl/en/ipv6/statistics.html
Let me repeat this : 0% of my customers have IPv6. 0% of my suppliers have IPv6. My current upstream does not provide IPv6.

I remember the days when I had my ASN on my home aDSL, and redundant IPv6 tunnels to HE and Viagénie. I paid $500 to ARIN to get the ASN for my home aDSL.
Was quite a surprise that I got it, actually. I did not cheat on the application.

Owen, these days are gone. Do you want to be Jordi ?

Michel.

[1] Apologies to Jan Zorz for using your chosen term, which is horribly politically incorrect in his opinion, and he should know.