[arin-ppml] Of interest?

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Fri May 17 09:42:14 EDT 2019

On 17 May 2019, at 1:46 AM, Ronald F. Guilmette <rfg at tristatelogic.com<mailto:rfg at tristatelogic.com>> wrote:
So, since the scammers already do know how to beat ARIN's vetting system,
what real harm is there in having ARIN officials explain TO THE REST OF
US all of the stuff that they are *not* doing ...

Ronald -

Note that this particular fraud was detected by _ARIN_, although it was indeed after the resources were originally issued and some were transferred.

As you are aware, address blocks have issued under increasing degrees of scrutiny of the requester over the last three decades, and those who would perpetrate fraud rapidly adapt once they become aware of measures that they face.  For example, when ARIN started requested copy of government-issued ID’s, perpetrators quickly learned and were prepared for that request from ARIN.   As we have just seen, our requirement for certain notarized documents in the most recent case was apparently well-known, and overcome with some prior planning.  For this reason, we will not engage in a public discussion of the specific measures that we undertake, but I can note that we’ve already adjusted some aspects to prevent potential recurrence.   In addition, the policy which provided a very large incentive for fraud (waiting list policy), is presently suspended and alternative policies that still provide relief for those needing a small amount of IPv4 resources are under consideration.

ARIN has been quite aggressive in our anti-fraud efforts, and have received praise in that regard from law enforcement from many countries.   We do have the burden of also acting on factual information rather than hearsay and inference, and that differs from many in the anti-spam community.  If you have a specific process that you’d like to see ARIN use to vet organizations, please write it up and submit it to the ARIN Consultation and Suggestion Process <https://www.arin.net/participate/community/acsp/process/> – I assure you that it will receive serious consideration.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO