[arin-ppml] Of interest?

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Fri May 17 02:17:40 EDT 2019

In message <CAP-guGXS+guaVVgvxSvdbwk72-Mcs1AP9C_jxwxotEiNu=Hb8Q at mail.gmail.com>
William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:

>Until you have W2 employees sitting somewhere or a retail space where
>customers show up, you generally don't have enough of a physical presence
>for the locality to notice or care.

You are missing the point sir.

Oppobox, LLC claimed to be headquartered in Ohio.  The fraud-master who
created this fiction even went to the trouble to get the thing its
very own 614 area code (Columbus) phone number... a number which is on
the home page of the (fradulent) company's web site, which is still up
and live as we speak, even though it has now been revealed in multiple
press accounts to be, and to have been, a total fraud:

https://www.oppobox.com/

This company, which lists ONLY an Ohio phone number on its web site is not
even registered as a legal entity in the State of Ohio.  Shall I go on?
Because I could go straight down through the whole list of these Micfo-
related bogus companies and it is the same story for all of them.

ARIN apparently never took the few seconds it would have taken to even
notice any of this.

If you don't see what's wrong with this picture, then I can only suggest,
respectfully, that you please remove your blinders.

This has nothing to do with electrons, or Amazon EC2 instances, or any
other such irrelevant rubbish.  A company... ANY company... MUST have a
physical "brick and mortar" existance SOMEWHERE.  This company has claimed,
in multiple documents and in multiple ways, that it's is located in Ohio.
However it is NOT registered with the Ohio Secretary of State to conduuct
business in that state.  This is an unambiguous violation of state law,
*and* one which, apparently, ARIN effectively condones and endorses by
turning a blind eye to... most probably in ALL cases.

In this particular case, ARIN's "hear no evil, see no evil" approach to
vetting new members quite obviously backfired on it, and in a rather
specatular way.  A rational person would see this and start to at least
*think* about how to fix this obvious bug in the system.  Instead, it
seems like some only want to sweep these obvious failing under the carpet
and get back to business as usual.

Well, you'll just have to exuse me.  I personally am not built that way.

And also, as I've said, I don't think that ARIN should be in the business
of effectively condoning and endorsing state-level tax fraud.  That is
exactly what it is doing each an every time it approves an application
for an entity that is "in" a state that ARIN can quickly and easily
determine that it is not actually registered in.

Regards,
rfg