[arin-ppml] Solving the squatting problem

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Thu May 16 23:59:12 EDT 2019

> On 17 May 2019, at 12:53 pm, Michel Py <michel at arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us> wrote:
>
>> Mark Andrews wrote :
>> 240/4 isn’t ARIN’s to allocate or do you think ARIN should squat on the space? :-)
>
> I was trying to find a more politically correct way to say it ;-)
> Look, you give me lemons, I make lemonade.
>
> How did we call that, when ARIN started to allocate IPv6 PI when no such thing existed ? There was quite a bit of artistic license taken then. IPv6 PI was not ARIN to allocate either.

The PI space came from the space ARIN had for PA assignments.  It was sub-allocating
space that had been allocated to it.  The purpose of the allocation changed.

>> David Farmer wrote :
>> I suppose we could try a global policy that would have to pass in all 5 RIRs requesting IANA
>> and the IETF to allocate 240/4 for Private Use. If that were to actually occur, it seems
>> difficult for the IETF to ignore such a request. While on the other hand, I'm not sure there
>> would be a consensus within the ARIN community, let alone the other RIRs, to do such a thing anyway.
>
> There is definitely something about tilting at a windmill here; I'm just trying to think out of the box.
> We have a problem with some ARIN members using address space that has been allocated to other ARIN members and we know it.
> I think there will be a consensus that ARIN has absolutely no stick to make them stop, so what we need is a carrot.
> Mine is not very palatable, but maybe it would be more attractive to ARIN members who squat by providing them an exit than to the IETF.
>
> Do you have a better suggestion ? The squatting issue is new, what does ARIN do about it ?

Squatting has been going on for as long as IPv4 has existed.  There have always been
people not wanting to do paperwork to get space.

Comcast, Microsoft, Facebook all dealt with not having enough IPv4 for their internal
purposes.  They all moved or are moving to IPv6-only for internal communications.  For
the machines that need to talk to the IPv4 Internet they use host based IPv4aas mechanisms.
You don’t even need to have IPv6 upstream links.  You can translate all the outbound traffic
to IPv4.

DS-Lite on the host or host based 464XLAT both work for this purpose.  There are other
mechanisms that work at the host level as well.

This isn’t a problem ARIN needs to solve.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742              INTERNET: marka at isc.org