[arin-ppml] Solving the squatting problem

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Thu May 16 17:16:08 EDT 2019

On Thu, May 16, 2019 at 1:52 PM Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

It doesn't really matter...  ALL of these software kernels receive
updates frequently;
mobile and desktop OSes in particular have numerous updates per month, and
even BSD, Cisco, Juniper, Arista  OSes  have frequent updates being made.

Adjusting the disposition of 240/4   in the kernel is a minor change.
Likely  less than  1% of the change volume  these systems' codebases
receive during the average month.

1 or 2 lines of code for vendors to adjust --- not a huge deal
(so long as it is software and not hardware/ASIC logic that needs to change).

That is likely less than the amount of text that needs to be altered in the
RFCs to state that  240/4  be reclassed as  global Unicast.

Certainly not at a comparable level of complexity as implementing V6.

[snip]
> Well, sort of… We’d still have to have altered the code base for every system that was going to be able to use 240/4.
>
> Let’s see what that entails…
>         Any of those organizations have Linux boxes? — I bet the answer is yes… OK… Have to update the Linux Kernel…
>         BSD? — Yep — OK, that too…
>         Cisco?…
>         Juniper?…
>         Windows?…
>         MacOS?…
>         Arista?…
>         iPhones?
>         Androids?
>         Windows Phones?
>
> How far down this list do I have to get before we’ve reached a reasonable approximation of “the codebase for every host on the internet"?
[snip]

--
-JH