[arin-ppml] [EXT] Re: Open Petition for ARIN-prop-266: BGP Hijacking is an ARIN Policy Violation

Töma Gavrichenkov ximaera at gmail.com
Mon May 6 17:59:07 EDT 2019

On Mon, May 6, 2019, 11:08 PM Ronald F. Guilmette <rfg at tristatelogic.com>
wrote:

> >Impossible. It's disabled in the stack, hard-coded as a martian or a
> bogon,
> >can't even configure it, name it.
>
> Sounds like a software problem.
>
> If your software doesn't do what you want it to do, that's hardly ARIN's
> responsibility.

The trick is: this is virtually *every* piece of network software ever
written that behaves this way.

There was an initiative in March this year, by Paul Wouters I think, to
allow use of 240/4, 224/4, 0/8, 127/8 etc. All of those are forbidden now
by hard code in Linux, Windows and pretty much any switch firmware.

I encourage you to follow the proceedings of Netdev 0x13 in Prague this
year. Look up something like "IPv4 unicast extensions" or "IPv4 unicast
expansions".

While ARIN may not be (directly) responsible for this mess, it is the
reality it ultimately happens to be a part of.

--
Töma