[arin-ppml] BGP Hijacking Definition

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Mon May 6 11:49:34 EDT 2019

On May 6, 2019, at 9:26 AM, Keith W. Hare <Keith at jcc.com<mailto:Keith at jcc.com>> wrote:
...Owen Delong described two technical mechanisms used for BGP hijacking:

1.       (Easiest and most common) Find a location in the internet where you can inject a route and have it propagate and exploit it.

2.       (less common but does happen) Find address space issued to a defunct organization or an organization that does not appear to be actively using it and attempt to steal it from them through the RIR process by creating a new similar looking organization and then attempting to fraudulently "reclaim" the resources.

I think the ARIN policies & practice already handle mechanism 2, so I'm going to ignore that for the moment. ...

FYI - for those interested in our current practices with regard to handling reports of potential route hijacking, please see our recent blog post - https://teamarin.net/2019/05/06/how-does-arin-handle-reports-of-route-hijacking/

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO