[arin-ppml] [EXT] Re: Open Petition for ARIN-prop-266: BGP Hijacking is an ARIN Policy Violation

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Sun May 5 22:58:43 EDT 2019

In message <F04ED1585899D842B482E7ADCA581B8472A70D58 at newserver.arneill-py.local
Michel Py <michel at arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us> wrote:

>Let's not forget the core reason we are in this squatting mess :
>Because the attempts to transform what was Class E (240.0.0.0/4) into
>private address space have been torpedoed.
>We have a block of 268 million IP addresses that would have been perfect
>for that, and that sits unused right now.
>There were torpedoed because it was perceived as an attempt to slow down
>IPv6 deployment.
>Result : IPv4 is still there, and now we have a mess. Had Class E become an
>extension of RFC1918, we would not have it because large folk who needed a
>bigger private space than 10/8 would have been quite happy with 240/4 (16
>consecutive Class A). Another failed policy that produced the opposite
>effect of the intent.

I really have no knowledge of any of this, and your contentions are rather
entirely perplexing.

If people want to use 240.0.0.0/4 -internally- as private RFC1918 address
space, who's preventing them from doing so?  As long as there are no route
leaks for any of this to the outside world, I don't see the issue/problem.

>The ARIN region is very behind compared to RIPE or LACNIC.
>https://rpki-monitor.antd.nist.gov/
>There have been extensive discussions recently about why. Parse the
>archives.
>We still are below 5%. I am one of the early adopters (I got my space
>validated when we were below 2%).
>
>You want to know why ? Nobody really cares...

OK, so how could be get people to care?

Maybe we need to have a raffle.  Everybody who has delopyed RPKI gets a
ticket. The winner gets an all-expense-paid trip to beautiful Chantilly,
Virginia, or... a cupie doll.

Regards,
rfg