[arin-ppml] [EXT] Re: Open Petition for ARIN-prop-266: BGP Hijacking is an ARIN Policy Violation

Michel Py michel at arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us
Sat May 4 23:33:27 EDT 2019

> Töma Gavrichenkov wrote :
> Let's be honest here.  RPKI, BGPSec and BGP roles could help resolving the issue of hijacking. This
> initiative would tame it a bit at best, but must not be seen as anything close to a silver bullet.
> Actually, one of the strongest concerns of mine with this proposal is that this may slow down the
> proper solution (routing security) deployment due to a false sense of security it provides.

Hi Töma,

I think you are right on the money here. The sad news is that one of the reasons the ARIN region is lacking behind the other RIRs in terms of RPKI deployment / acceptance is because of legal liability issues that have, among other things, not allowed the ARIN TAL to be part of the standard distribution of popular RPKI software packages.

And now this comes, which is going to scare the bleep out of everyone who has to deal with these issues in the real world.
This reminds me of politicians or legislators who vote laws that say spam is illegal.
Spam has not stopped because of these laws.
The same applies to alcohol : here in the USA we passed this thing called prohibition.
What did it achieve ? Make Al Capone and the Kennedy family rich(er). (Read your history books, kiddos).
http://time.com/3529756/kennedy-churchill-roosevelt-investment-deal/
This is time.com, not the national enquirer.

Drinking is no good so, we are going to pass a law that makes it illegal : the 21st amendment.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty-first_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution
Hijacking or squatting prefixes is no good, so ARIN is going to pass some text that makes it illegal.

Hello ?

Michel.