[arin-ppml] [EXT] Re: Open Petition for ARIN-prop-266: BGP Hijacking is an ARIN Policy Violation

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Fri May 3 15:16:19 EDT 2019

In message <099DB830-DA2B-482E-B758-32E240018129 at arin.net>,
John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:

>The reason why is that ISPs have the ability to configure their routers as
>they see fit, including deciding what routes they announce and what routes
>they accept.  If the community wants to infringe on this freedom, then we
>need to be very clear on that point.

I don't know if I even count as a "member of the community" but I most
certainly *do* want to infringe on that freedom just a tiny bit.  (I am
also in favor of laws prohibiting people from yelling "Fire!" in a crowded
theater, even though any such statute could reasonably be construed as a
limitation of the otherwise unfettered right to free speech as codified
in the First Amendment.)

>Does the reformulation help clarify why the addition of that responsibility
>might be seen by some as rather significant?

It is abundantly clear to all, I think, based on the bruhaha here, even if
nothing else, that this proposed addition of responsibility is and will be
considered my many to be "significant".  That by itself is not an argument
against the proposal.  The real question is:  Does the community feel that
the problems caused by totally unfettered "freedom of speech" (when it comes
to speech in the language of BGP) are also "significant", and if so, are they
significant enough to warrant the proposed change, or some verison thereof,
as a reasonable remedy.

On this point, everyone will have to decide for themselves.

For my own part I will simply confess to being an anal retentive personality
with a pronounced and overriding preference for order over chaos, and as
such, I would like to see RPKI adopted universally, and in lieu of that,
or until such time as that happens, I would like to visit unspeakable
atrocities upon each and every one of the low-life scumbags that pulls
any of this crap *deliberately*, i.e. -either- hijacking -or- squatting,
and would undoubtedly enjoy administering said atrocities personally.

Regards,
rfg