[arin-ppml] prop266 - re-framing the discussion

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Fri May 3 14:37:48 EDT 2019

In message <F04ED1585899D842B482E7ADCA581B8472A704AB at newserver.arneill-py.local
Michel Py <michel at arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us> wrote:

>It is not internal. Squatters are using DoD addresses to transport customer
>/ subscriber traffic over the public Internet.

Yes, that's what I said in my posting.  A Navy (NCIS) guy told me that
this happens frequently, and that when he calls people on it, many of
them are like "Wait... WHAT?  My friend told me that I could just use
this unrouted space!  Everybody else does."

Some days, the level of idiocy and incompetence in this business is truly
breathtaking.

>ARIN should not create a double standard that penalizes hijacking and
>tolerates squatting.

I agree.  However it is my belief that the authors of the proposal under
discussion (266) intended that it should, if adopeted, have applicability
to -both- hijacks and also what we know as squatting.

But I should let them speak for themselves with regards to this.

Regards,
rfg