[arin-ppml] [EXT] Re: Open Petition for ARIN-prop-266: BGP Hijacking is an ARIN Policy Violation

Mike Burns mike at iptrading.com
Fri May 3 14:06:48 EDT 2019

Hello List,

The difference between a hijack and a lease is often a valid Letter of Agency.

Maybe it’s time for an explicit lease policy that would be within ARIN’s scope and could chip away at some of the issues here.

Personally, I am against the proposal and agree that it is out of scope.

And I am philosophically inclined against any mission-creep for ARIN.

But I think there is a lacuna in policy regarding leasing that should be remedied.

In the remedy there could at least be definitions of acceptable documentation for leases which would help with some hijacking issues, and spell out plainly in policy when a lease is valid, and when it is a hijack, or lease policy violation.

Regards,

Mike