[arin-ppml] [EXT] Re: Open Petition for ARIN-prop-266: BGP Hijacking is an ARIN Policy Violation

Carlos Friaças cfriacas at fccn.pt
Fri May 3 13:13:04 EDT 2019

Hi,

On Fri, 3 May 2019, Andrew Bagrin wrote:

> I'm curious why do people not want to let ARIN try to start getting involved to help resolve the issue of hijacking?

<proposer hat on>

This is uncharted territory. Some people fear the unknown.

> Are you doing hijacking and don't want interference?

I don't think this is the case. I know some people who are opposing it
since some years and i'm sure they are not doing it, nor have done that.
Ever.

> Are you running a competitive service that you charge for?

That is even harder to imagine because if the RIRs aren't able to do
anything, what is the private party (solely) that can?

> Does anyone believe there is a valid reason to hijack and advertise IP
> space that you do not own? (when the owner of that space does not want
> you to advertise it)

I think there is not.

> Why would anyone be against ARIN having a process to help resolve these
> issues?  Sure we can question how effective it will be, but anything
> will be more effective than nothing, and by actually doing, failing and
> learning, ARIN will only improve and refine the process. We will all
> learn from this.

I've learned a lot between proposal versions in RIPE, LACNIC and ARIN.

Just by having the opportunity to discuss it :-)

Thanks.

Regards,
Carlos