[arin-ppml] prop266 - re-framing the discussion

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Fri May 3 02:34:49 EDT 2019

In message <F04ED1585899D842B482E7ADCA581B8472A70164 at newserver.arneill-py.local
Michel Py <michel at arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us> wrote:

>Maybe you should go out in the real world a little more. I have been asked
>several times which of the DoD blocks was "best" to use. The question was
>not "Is it ok to use a DoD block internally". The question was "We know
>it's dumb, but we are doing it anyway. Which one do we start with, 22/8 or
>30/8".

If a tree falls in the forrest...

If someone is using DoD space strictly -internally- then who the hell gives
a damn?  And who the hell would ever even know?

That having been said, I did speak to an NCIS (Navy) guy some time ago and
he told me that yes, there *are* parties that do and have announced routes
to various bits of DoD space over the Internet, and some apparently have
deluded themselves into believing that this is somehow OK.... like as if
this was all just "open range" upon which they could graze their cattle.

Personally, I found the very notion both ludicrous and disgusting.

Regards,
rfg