[arin-ppml] [EXT] Re: Open Petition for ARIN-prop-266: BGP Hijacking is an ARIN Policy Violation

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Thu May 2 20:25:51 EDT 2019

> On 2 May 2019, at 11:35 pm, Jimmy Hess <mysidia at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> There is no role, for example,  for a government or anyone else to
> come tell ATT,
> Verizon, Level3, etc, what they are and are not allowed to put or have
> in their routing tables, and furthermore, which internet standards
> they have to support,
> (outside the scope of contracts they may have for services provided by
> their network).

Actually, I believe if push came to shove and someone took the matter to
court it would be found that deliberately or repeatedly advertising someones
else’s routes without permission is an offence.  It amounts to tortuous
interference in another’s business.  And yes, it is the government’s job,
via the court system, to police this.  I’m not a lawyer and I don’t know
if there is any case law on this yet but it will come if it is not their
already.

So yes, the government can tell you want you can and can’t put in your routers.
You just don’t want them to have to do that because it becomes very expensive
for you went they decide they have to.  Most people here don’t want that to
happen so they act responsibly.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742              INTERNET: marka at isc.org