[arin-ppml] [EXT] Re: Open Petition for ARIN-prop-266: BGP Hijacking is an ARIN Policy Violation

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Thu May 2 14:14:38 EDT 2019

In message <0fc93580-db31-0505-9b1a-a5f57731fe0a at gmail.com>,
Fernando Frediani <fhfrediani at gmail.com> wrote:

>Why people always believe they "own" IP address space and nobody can
>take it from them as if it was a router or a server purchased with a
>invoice and declared in their annual balance ?

Well, owners of so-called "legacy" IPv4 address blocks have... according
to what I have been told... indeed tried very very hard to make that case
that they never opted in to the present allocation system and that thus,
they are not in any way subject to or bound by it's rules.

That is a longstanding and thorny problem.  But I believe that it is
largely or entirely orthogonal to the changes contemplated by ARIN-prop-266.

Regards,
rfg