[arin-ppml] prop266 - re-framing the discussion

Adam Thompson athompson at merlin.mb.ca
Thu May 2 14:01:41 EDT 2019

Thanks, David.  I’d rather focus on what we CAN do or MIGHT be able to do, instead of focusing on the negative side of things.

So the carrot hasn’t worked, over the last 20yrs.  That’s fairly clear.  (Nor has it utterly failed, but its degree of success is noticeably less than perfect.)

Maybe it’s time to get out a (relatively gentle) stick:  No new IP address space for you, until you demonstrate that you have A) correctly/successfully added both IRR and RPKI ROAs for your existing allocations/assignments; and B) implemented BGP filtering, if not up to full MANRS, at least done *something* to prevent bogons, hijacks, etc.  (This could be as simple as “I maintain my prefix-lists by hand and apply them to every connection except my upstream(s)”.)

I don’t know how to solve the multiple chicken-and-egg problems embedded in what I just wrote, but something along those lines would be consistent with the … huh, can’t find it now, I thought there was some language in ARIN’s mandate or policy or something that included “fostering” the development of the Internet?

If the solution to the problem is to get Tier-1 & Tier-2 backbones to implement filtering, we can drag them along with us.  It’s not an overnight fix, but all the little pushes in the right direction add up.  It’s hard to bootstrap your way past a chicken-and-egg problem, and I believe it requires deployment of sticks, not carrots.

The obvious stick to use would be to put conditions-of-use on any and all number resources back in, but we just took out the RDNS provisions, I’m not sure there’s any appetite for adding anything new…?

Also – in this hypothetical world where everyone publishes IRR or RPKI data, ARIN gains a very effective stick: immediate masking of your ROA data.  Would require a well-thought-out enforcement policy, that would be horrible if deployed accidentally, but it would be a lot more effective than the, er, nearly-nothing ARIN has today.  I don’t love ARIN, in many ways, but it would seem to be self-consistent for an org that is being asked to police certain aspects of organizational behaviour, to enact policies giving itself the tools to do said policing.  OTOH, there’s a very good reason “Judge, Jury and Executioner” is an English idiom with negative connotations.

-Adam

Adam Thompson
Consultant, Infrastructure Services
[merlin-email-logo]
100 - 135 Innovation Drive
Winnipeg, MB, R3T 6A8
(204) 977-6824 or 1-800-430-6404 (MB only)
athompson at merlin.mb.ca<mailto:athompson at merlin.mb.ca>
www.merlin.mb.ca<http://www.merlin.mb.ca/>