[arin-ppml] [EXT] Re: Open Petition for ARIN-prop-266: BGP Hijacking is an ARIN Policy Violation

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Thu May 2 13:43:54 EDT 2019

On May 2, 2019, at 12:19 PM, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ via ARIN-PPML <arin-ppml at arin.net> wrote:

> I think this is part of the reason it has been declared out-of-scope. The misunderstanding about “speaking of routing”. Is not the case, we are speaking about members should respect the exclusive right of use of other members. Hijacking with BGP is only the mean to break that right.

Jordi -

That “right of use” you reference is a “right of use within the registry”, at least with respect to ARIN.   We cannot provide a right to “use within the global routing system” without our customers first agreeing to contractual responsibilities that do not presently exist (as ARIN has no control over the global routing system.)

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO