[arin-ppml] prop266 - re-framing the discussion

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Thu May 2 12:58:02 EDT 2019

Hi John,

El 2/5/19 18:36, "John Curran" <jcurran at arin.net> escribió:

On 2 May 2019, at 11:48 AM, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ via ARIN-PPML <arin-ppml at arin.net> wrote:

As said before, I’m fine if the RIRs don’t want to take actions, but they must have clear rules (policy text) that allows the victims to claim by other means if they wish. This is a way for the RIR to not get involved, but still facilitate the protection of the member’s rights.

Jordi -

To be clear, ARIN customers are issued number resources with very specific rights (see section 2 of the RSA) but all of those rights relate to their number resources in the ARIN registry.  We have clear enforcement of those rights; i.e. if you believe that someone has somehow appropriated your number resources in the ARIN registry, please contact us and we’ll promptly investigate and correct.

Just to be clear, neither I’ve ARIN resources, neither (right now) I manage resources in ARIN for any member. So I’m not personally in the situation to contact ARIN over a specific case.

You reference some additional “member rights” with regard to routing of issued number resources, but I note that enforcing such rights over routing cannot occur unless/until the community specifically provides for their existence.

I don’t think I mention “additional”, anyway I think we are talking about the same: It is clear for everybody that ARIN membership allows members to get resources allocated for their exclusive use (while they keep the rules).

So, nothing new here. However, this is not (at least in my reading), clear enough in the legal documents (bylaws, RSA), which point to the policy manual regarding the rules. And the PDP is for allowing that text to evolve, stablish new rules, clarify existing ones (which may be very obvious for some, but not for all).

Our policy proposal is providing that: Explicit so everyone is in the same page about what are the rules (regarding exclusive use) text AND, as you said (if I got you correctly), providing the evidence to ARIN when violation of those exclusive use rights happen.

ARIN doesn’t (presently) constrain by contract how customers issue routes for their number resources, nor does it constrain how customers process routes received from other networks – as it has historically been the view

I think it has been mentioned in this discussion already several times that this is not 100% correct, in the sense that there are some policies that already go into those details. I recall also during the discussion an expression about policies with “few teeth”, which not being native English I’m not sure to fully understand but I can make a guess.

that such a role lies outside the scope of ARIN’s mission.  ARIN cannot provide for protection of your purported routing rights until those rights are well defined & enforceable, and I would recommend some deep consideration by the community about the implications of any such change.

I’m even suggesting that ARIN may decide not provide the protection by ARIN itself, but at least clearly define it.

Thanks,

/John

John Curran

President and CEO