[arin-ppml] [EXT] Re: Open Petition for ARIN-prop-266: BGP Hijacking is an ARIN Policy Violation

hostmaster at uneedus.com hostmaster at uneedus.com
Thu May 2 09:00:57 EDT 2019

On Thu, 2 May 2019, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ via ARIN-PPML wrote:

>2. CONDITIONS OF SERVICE
>
>(1) The exclusive right to be the registrant of the Included Number
>Resources within the ARIN database;
>(2) The right to use the Included Number Resources within the ARIN
>database;

This above kinda sums up the issue.  My understanding is this language
comes from the RSA.

While the document grants the right to be the registrant and use the
"Included Number Resources", other language stating that you cannot use
someone elses number resources without the permission of the registrant of
those OTHER resources is missing from the RSA.  That is what needs fixing.

Of course, it is not easy to amend the RSA.  Therefore it is being
advanced to add the BGP hijacking language to the NRPM, which each ARIN
RSA signer has also agreed to follow.

If the language is added to the NRPM and the hijacker is an ARIN RSA
signer, enforcement could be up to and including the revoke of all ARIN
resources.  However, all the worldwide resources are NOT assigned to ARIN,
therefore nothing can really be done by ARIN in these cases where the
hijacker is NOT an ARIN member.

As a result, the Advisory Committee declared it totally out of scope, even
though it does appear in scope if the hijacking is being done by an ARIN
RSA signer.

Unless this conflict can be solved, it is out of scope, at least when it
would be applied to non ARIN RSA signers.  However, I think it is in scope
when hijacking of ARIN assigned resources occur by an ARIN RSA signer.

Albert Erdmann
Network Administrator
Paradise On Line Inc.