[arin-ppml] Revised - Draft Policy ARIN-2018-5: Disallow Third-party Organization Record Creation

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Mon Mar 18 19:59:05 EDT 2019

On Mon, Mar 18, 2019 at 4:31 PM Andrew Dul <andrew.dul at quark.net> wrote:
> The AC would appreciate your statement of support (or lack of thereof)
> for this updated draft to help make a determination if this draft policy
> is strongly supported by the community and thus is ready to move toward
> recommended status.

Hi Andrew,

I support the intention of the proposal  as described in the problem
statement:

> > Therefore, this policy establishes that organization records shall be
> > created only by the entity represented by the organization record, and
> > should be created only through an explicit request to ARIN.  ISPs
> > wishing to reassign space to customers should either ask the customer
> > for their ORG-ID or shall use the "simple reassignment" method which
> > does not require nor create new organization records.  ISPs wishing to
> > reallocate space to customers should ask the customer for their ORG-ID.

Good idea. Agree.

The proposed policy text is, well, it's inscrutable.

> > 3.X.1 Organization Record Creation
> >
> > New organization records shall be created upon ARIN receiving a
> > request directly from an authorized contact representing an entity
> > that ARIN is able to validate.  Organization records shall not be
> > created upon the request of third-parties.

Huh? If I hadn't read the problem statement, I'd have not the first clue
what this was trying to say.

What about something like: "Organization records shall be created only by
an individual named as the organization's point of contact. Vendors shall
not create organization records on their customers' behalf."

I reached a milestone late last month... My ARIN POC handle is a quarter of
a century old.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us