[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2019-2: Waiting List Block Size Restriction

Mueller, Milton L milton at gatech.edu
Thu Mar 7 17:04:49 EST 2019

This is a sensible intervention. If people are grabbing waiting list resources in order to hold their own auction, why shouldn’t ARIN auction off the space directly?
I oppose the policy and would support a policy that stops giving away scarce IPv4s for free, which inevitably creates arbitrage pressures.
This is not a case of letting the perfect be the enemy of the good. It is a matter of solving a problem rather than coming up with a poorly thought out kludge.
--MM

Hi Albert,

As has been discussed previously in this thread, /22 requests still leave a serious disincentive problem on the table which is counter-productive in the community. Bad actors are incentivized to create multiple shell companies to hoard space. In my opinion we should work to come up with an alternative solution that puts the incentives back in alignment such as allowing ARIN to auction off the space for market rates.

While ARIN hands out free money in the form of IPv4 under existing policies there will always be a problem with fraud in this community.

Best Regards,

Robert Clarke
CubeMotion LLC
robert at cubemotion.com<mailto:robert at cubemotion.com>
M: +1 (844) 244-8140 ex. 512
300 Lenora Street #454, Seattle, WA, 98121