[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2019-1: Clarify Section 4 IPv4 Request Requirements

Tom Fantacone tom at iptrading.com
Sun Mar 3 21:00:37 EST 2019

Chris,

Thanks for the clarification.  I support the policy.

In terms of implementation, I'm guessing when an organization seeks pre-approval for a particular block size, if they've transferred out space within the last 12 months, ARIN will advise them that their pre-approval will only allow them to receive space on the transfer market.  If they haven't transferred space out in the last 12 months, they'll have the option, as they do now, of receiving space via transfer or going on the waiting list.

Tom

---- On Sun, 03 Mar 2019 13:02:35 -0500 Chris Woodfield <chris at semihuman.com> wrote ----

Hi Tom - responses inline.

One additional point - the current policy places a limit on how often an organization can receive resources from the waiting list. This draft changes the hold-down timer so that it now applies to *applications* for new allocations under the waiting list policy, not the receipt of resources from it.

> On Mar 3, 2019, at 7:18 AM, Tom Fantacone <mailto:tom at iptrading.com> wrote:

> Chris,

> The "clarification" part of your proposal seems to be a no brainer (the waiting period is meant to apply to allocations only under section 4).  I assume ARIN staff is already interpreting it this way since that was the intent of the section.  So I wouldn't sever it unless the full policy doesn't gain support in which case we could revisit just inserting the clarification part.

That assumption is my understanding as well.

> Regarding this:

> "- Disallows organizations that have transferred space to other parties within the past 12 months from applying for additional IPv4 space under NRPM Section 4. "

> I want to make sure I understand it correctly.  If you transfer out space via 8.2/8.3/8.4, does this restriction mean you just can't receive space via the waiting list for 12 months, or via any mechanism (waiting list/transfer) for 12 months?  I think it means from the waiting list only, but want to be sure.

That is correct - note the phrase “...under this section...” in the proposal text.

Thanks,

-Chris