[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2019-1: Clarify Section 4 IPv4 Request Requirements

Tom Fantacone tom at iptrading.com
Sun Mar 3 10:18:47 EST 2019

Chris,

The "clarification" part of your proposal seems to be a no brainer (the waiting period is meant to apply to allocations only under section 4).  I assume ARIN staff is already interpreting it this way since that was the intent of the section.  So I wouldn't sever it unless the full policy doesn't gain support in which case we could revisit just inserting the clarification part.

Regarding this:

"- Disallows
organizations that have transferred space to other parties within the
past 12 months from applying for additional IPv4 space under NRPM
Section 4. "

I want to make sure I understand it correctly.  If you transfer out space via 8.2/8.3/8.4, does this restriction mean you just can't receive space via the waiting list for 12 months, or via any mechanism (waiting list/transfer) for 12 months?  I think it means from the waiting list only, but want to be sure.

Tom

---- On Sat, 02 Mar 2019 13:48:01 -0500 Chris Woodfield <chris at semihuman.com> wrote ----

Speaking as the policy author, I’ll make two points:

1. I’m aware that given the other discussions around waiting list policy that are ongoing, this proposal may well be rendered moot by future policy changes. I still believe that this is worth pursuing as there’s a current need for clarification and increased disincentives for bad behavior today.

2. I’m deliberately killing two not-terribly-related birds with one stone with this proposal, based on the fact that the two issues noted from the PER can be addressed by adding language to the same NRPM text. Happy to consider severing them if the community prefers.

Thanks,

-Chris

t mailto:info at arin.net if you experience any issues.