[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2019-2: Waiting List Block Size Restriction

Jo Rhett jrhett at netconsonance.com
Sat Mar 2 18:31:10 EST 2019

>> Many hosting and access providers like to give each paying customer their
>> own IPv4 address, since it simplifies DMCA compliance.
>
> No, it doesn't.
>
> If I have a web server that's configured to serve up pages for 1,000
> different web sites, and I get a DMCA complaint about one in particular,
> I can disable that one alone.

And if you have 1,000 customers using the same source IP (A) how do you identify which customer is causing abuse complaints with outbound sessions and (B) just one could cause outages for the others by consuming all the ports by a badly written script/plugin or deliberate abuse.

Finally, there are a number of poorly written laws that require that unique IPs be given to each customer. Whether or not the technology could support it, the legal framework a business has to operate in may not.

> Is this not self-evident?

It is not. And again, you are being insulting to people based on your own ignorance and in this case a fairly basic misunderstanding of how IP works.

>> Otherwise the
>> hosting provider needs to get into the middle of keeping logs for every
>> customer.
>
> No, you don’t. I frankly don't know what you are going on about.  How do logs even enter
> into this?  … They are demonstratably irrelevant.

Okay, sorry, I tried and am done. You continue to be insulting to people without even trying to recognize the well-known, well-documented realities of the legal framework in which companies operate.

--
Jo Rhett