[arin-ppml] ARIN-2019-7: Elimination of the Waiting List (was:Re: Looking for final show of support on revised Advisory Council Recommendation Regarding NRPM 4.1.8. Unmet Requests

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Jun 7 20:48:33 EDT 2019

On Fri, Jun 7, 2019 at 11:55 AM David Farmer <farmer at umn.edu> wrote:
> Those of you who support Elimination of the Waiting List, effectively
Draft Policy ARIN-2019-7 should read the Staff and Legal Review for the
policy posted on April 29th.

> https://www.arin.net/participate/policy/drafts/2019_7/
>
> In particular the Legal Assessment;
>
> This policy requires legal comment. ARIN’s Articles and Bylaws do not
specifically prohibit ARIN from monetizing returned or revoked resources by
selling those resources into the transfer market, as an alternative to
allocating some amended version of the wait list policy. Fraud underlying
any waiting list policy issuance is an appropriate policy concern. However,
ARIN revokes address resources from those who fail to make required payment
s to ARIN which makes up almost all revocations; and in the rare cases of
breach of the RSA or fraud in the obtaining the allocation. Today, ARIN
does not financially benefit in any material way from such revocations.
Adoption of this policy would for the first time allow the party in a
contested revocation situation to argue that ARIN seeks to financially
benefit. Avoiding that concern is also significant.

> Based on this assessment, I find it difficult to support this course of
action or this policy.

Hi David,

Very interesting!

So, it's OK if other ARIN registrants benefit from the revocation (in the
form of resources with a well established monetary value) but ARIN itself
must not benefit from the revocation?

I think I have a solution. It involves distributing the auction revenues to
ARIN's paying registrants.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--