[arin-ppml] Policy proposal 2019-9

Michael Williams michael.williams at glexia.com
Tue Jul 30 20:37:21 EDT 2019


I am against the policy as written.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 31, 2019, at 09:57, Rudolph Daniel <rudi.daniel at gmail.com> wrote:

I support this revised version of draft policy ARIN-2019-9 as written.
RD

On Tue, Jul 30, 2019, 15:50 <arin-ppml-request at arin.net> wrote:

> Send ARIN-PPML mailing list submissions to
>         arin-ppml at arin.net
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>         https://lists.arin.net/mailman/listinfo/arin-ppml
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>         arin-ppml-request at arin.net
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
>         arin-ppml-owner at arin.net
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of ARIN-PPML digest..."
>
>
> Today's Topics:
>
>    1. Re: Revised - Draft Policy ARIN-2019-9: Clarify Interactions
>       Between NRPM 4.10 IPv6 Transition Space Requests and NRPM 4.1.8.2
>       Unmet Needs Requests (Kat Hunter)
>    2. Re: Revised - Draft Policy ARIN-2019-9: Clarify Interactions
>       Between NRPM 4.10 IPv6 Transition Space Requests and NRPM 4.1.8.2
>       Unmet Needs Requests (Brian Jones)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2019 13:33:07 -0400
> From: Kat Hunter <takokat81 at gmail.com>
> To: Brian Jones <bjones at vt.edu>
> Cc: ARIN-PPML <arin-ppml at arin.net>
> Subject: Re: [arin-ppml] Revised - Draft Policy ARIN-2019-9: Clarify
>         Interactions Between NRPM 4.10 IPv6 Transition Space Requests and
> NRPM
>         4.1.8.2 Unmet Needs Requests
> Message-ID:
>         <CAC=
> UcieAJ6Vq3YLjRbKzSwHQYN98wHWZA5gQi2Zhzm2aAx6+Bw at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
>
> All- Staff and legal review has been completed for 2019-9. Please take a
> moment to review the comments. For those that supported this, do you still
> support the policy given the staff notes. Additionally, we'd like to hear
> from anyone that this may impact in a negative way.
>
> Policy: https://www.arin.net/participate/policy/drafts/2019_9/
> Staff and Legal Review
> https://www.arin.net/participate/policy/drafts/2019_9/#slr
>
> "ARIN Staff Comments
>
> This policy could be implemented as written. Current policy is that any
> organization on the waiting list that receives IPv4 addresses through a
> transfer are removed from the waiting list, but those receiving an NRPM
> 4.10 (Dedicated IPv4 Block to Facilitate IPv6 Deployment) assignment are
> not removed from the waiting list. The proposed change would result those
> organizations receiving an NRPM 4.10 assignment also being removed from the
> waiting list.
>
> Staff notes that adding the ??or an allocation request fulfilled under
> Section 4.10?? may be detrimental to some organizations, as address space
> received per NRPM 4.10 must be used in a manner consistent with IPv6
> translation services and cannot be used for other purposes such as customer
> assignments, shared hosting services, etc.
>
> Organizations need IPv4 address space to assign to their customers, and
> many organizations will request a block from the Waiting List to be used
> for their customer assignments but still need some IPv4 space for
> deployment of IPv6 translation services as outlined in section NRPM 4.10.
> Removing organizations from the Waiting List when they receive a NRPM 4.10
> assignment would hinder the existing IPv4 operations & growth of
> organizations, and may provide a disincentive to IPv6 deployment."
>
>
>
> -Kat Hunter
>
>
> On Mon, Jul 15, 2019 at 1:42 PM Brian Jones <bjones at vt.edu> wrote:
>
> > I support this revised version of draft policy ARIN-2019-9 as written.
> >
> > Brian
> >
> >
> > On Thu, May 23, 2019, 12:44 PM ARIN <info at arin.net> wrote:
> >
> >> The following has been revised:
> >>
> >> * Draft Policy ARIN-2019-9: Clarify Interactions Between NRPM 4.10 IPv6
> >> Transition Space Requests and NRPM 4.1.8.2 Unmet Needs Requests
> >>
> >> Revised text is below and can be found at:
> >> https://www.arin.net/participate/policy/drafts/2019_9/
> >>
> >> You are encouraged to discuss all Draft Policies on PPML. The AC will
> >> evaluate the discussion in order to assess the conformance of this Draft
> >> Policy with ARIN's Principles of Internet number resource policy as
> >> stated in the Policy Development Process (PDP). Specifically, these
> >> principles are:
> >>
> >> * Enabling Fair and Impartial Number Resource Administration
> >> * Technically Sound
> >> * Supported by the Community
> >>
> >> The PDP can be found at:
> >> https://www.arin.net/participate/policy/pdp/
> >>
> >> Draft Policies and Proposals under discussion can be found at:
> >> https://www.arin.net/participate/policy/drafts/
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Sean Hopkins
> >> Policy Analyst
> >> American Registry for Internet Numbers (ARIN)
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> Draft Policy ARIN-2019-9: Clarify Interactions Between NRPM 4.10 IPv6
> >> Transition Space Requests and NRPM 4.1.8.2 Unmet Needs Requests
> >>
> >> Problem Statement:
> >>
> >> It has been observed that an organization requesting IPv4 resources
> >> under NRPM Section 4.10, Dedicated IPv4 Block To Facilitate IPv6
> >> Deployment, can also request similar or the same resources under Section
> >> 4.2.1.8, Unmet Needs. This proposal aims to remove this potential for
> >> duplicate requests under these sections.
> >>
> >> Policy Statement:
> >>
> >> Section 4.1.8.2, Unmet Needs:
> >>
> >> Current language: Any requests met through a transfer will be considered
> >> fulfilled and removed from the waiting list.
> >>
> >> Proposed language:
> >>
> >> Any requests met through a transfer or an allocation request fulfilled
> >> under Section 4.10 will be considered fulfilled and removed from the
> >> waiting list.
> >>
> >> Timetable for Implementation: Immediate
> >>
> >> Anything Else:
> >>
> >> Currently, organizations can receive no more than a /24 at a time under
> >> Section 4.10. However, Proposal ARIN-PROP-266, submitted by Chris Tacit
> >> and myself, could potentially allow an org to receive up to a /21 under
> >> that section, widening the potential for abuse by ?double-dipping?
> >> waiting list and transition space requests. As such, this proposal
> >> should be considered in that context.
> >> _______________________________________________
> >> ARIN-PPML
> >> You are receiving this message because you are subscribed to
> >> the ARIN Public Policy Mailing List (ARIN-PPML at arin.net).
> >> Unsubscribe or manage your mailing list subscription at:
> >> https://lists.arin.net/mailman/listinfo/arin-ppml
> >> Please contact info at arin.net if you experience any issues.
> >>
> > _______________________________________________
> > ARIN-PPML
> > You are receiving this message because you are subscribed to
> > the ARIN Public Policy Mailing List (ARIN-PPML at arin.net).
> > Unsubscribe or manage your mailing list subscription at:
> > https://lists.arin.net/mailman/listinfo/arin-ppml
> > Please contact info at arin.net if you experience any issues.
> >
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: <
> https://lists.arin.net/pipermail/arin-ppml/attachments/20190730/92058f5f/attachment-0001.htm
> >
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2019 15:49:56 -0400
> From: Brian Jones <bjones at vt.edu>
> To: Kat Hunter <takokat81 at gmail.com>, ARIN-PPML <arin-ppml at arin.net>
> Subject: Re: [arin-ppml] Revised - Draft Policy ARIN-2019-9: Clarify
>         Interactions Between NRPM 4.10 IPv6 Transition Space Requests and
> NRPM
>         4.1.8.2 Unmet Needs Requests
> Message-ID: <EEC96299-415D-46F5-A742-13C7DE06F316 at vt.edu>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
>
> With the clarification that organizations will be removed from the waiting
> list if they receive an allocation for facilitating their IPv6 deployment,
> I no longer support this proposal for the reasons outlined by the ARIN
> staff below. My organization will not be impacted by this but I can
> understand where some could be detrimentally effected by this change.
> Receiving an allocation for deploying IPv6 should not be tied to the
> waiting list for a regular IPv4 assignment IMO.
>
> --
> Brian E Jones, CSP-SM, CSP-PO
> NI&S Virginia Tech
> bjones at vt.edu
>
> > On Jul 30, 2019, at 1:33 PM, Kat Hunter <takokat81 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > All- Staff and legal review has been completed for 2019-9. Please take a
> moment to review the comments. For those that supported this, do you still
> support the policy given the staff notes. Additionally, we'd like to hear
> from anyone that this may impact in a negative way.
> >
> > Policy: https://www.arin.net/participate/policy/drafts/2019_9/ <
> https://www.arin.net/participate/policy/drafts/2019_9/>
> > Staff and Legal Review
> https://www.arin.net/participate/policy/drafts/2019_9/#slr <
> https://www.arin.net/participate/policy/drafts/2019_9/#slr>
> >
> > "ARIN Staff Comments
> >
> > This policy could be implemented as written. Current policy is that any
> organization on the waiting list that receives IPv4 addresses through a
> transfer are removed from the waiting list, but those receiving an NRPM
> 4.10 (Dedicated IPv4 Block to Facilitate IPv6 Deployment) assignment are
> not removed from the waiting list. The proposed change would result those
> organizations receiving an NRPM 4.10 assignment also being removed from the
> waiting list.
> >
> > Staff notes that adding the ??or an allocation request fulfilled under
> Section 4.10?? may be detrimental to some organizations, as address space
> received per NRPM 4.10 must be used in a manner consistent with IPv6
> translation services and cannot be used for other purposes such as customer
> assignments, shared hosting services, etc.
> >
> > Organizations need IPv4 address space to assign to their customers, and
> many organizations will request a block from the Waiting List to be used
> for their customer assignments but still need some IPv4 space for
> deployment of IPv6 translation services as outlined in section NRPM 4.10.
> Removing organizations from the Waiting List when they receive a NRPM 4.10
> assignment would hinder the existing IPv4 operations & growth of
> organizations, and may provide a disincentive to IPv6 deployment."
> >
> >
> >
> > -Kat Hunter
> >
> >
> > On Mon, Jul 15, 2019 at 1:42 PM Brian Jones <bjones at vt.edu <mailto:
> bjones at vt.edu>> wrote:
> > I support this revised version of draft policy ARIN-2019-9 as written.
> >
> > Brian
> >
> >
> > On Thu, May 23, 2019, 12:44 PM ARIN <info at arin.net <mailto:info at arin.net>>
> wrote:
> > The following has been revised:
> >
> > * Draft Policy ARIN-2019-9: Clarify Interactions Between NRPM 4.10 IPv6
> > Transition Space Requests and NRPM 4.1.8.2 Unmet Needs Requests
> >
> > Revised text is below and can be found at:
> > https://www.arin.net/participate/policy/drafts/2019_9/ <
> https://www.arin.net/participate/policy/drafts/2019_9/>
> >
> > You are encouraged to discuss all Draft Policies on PPML. The AC will
> > evaluate the discussion in order to assess the conformance of this Draft
> > Policy with ARIN's Principles of Internet number resource policy as
> > stated in the Policy Development Process (PDP). Specifically, these
> > principles are:
> >
> > * Enabling Fair and Impartial Number Resource Administration
> > * Technically Sound
> > * Supported by the Community
> >
> > The PDP can be found at:
> > https://www.arin.net/participate/policy/pdp/ <
> https://www.arin.net/participate/policy/pdp/>
> >
> > Draft Policies and Proposals under discussion can be found at:
> > https://www.arin.net/participate/policy/drafts/ <
> https://www.arin.net/participate/policy/drafts/>
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Sean Hopkins
> > Policy Analyst
> > American Registry for Internet Numbers (ARIN)
> >
> >
> >
> > Draft Policy ARIN-2019-9: Clarify Interactions Between NRPM 4.10 IPv6
> > Transition Space Requests and NRPM 4.1.8.2 Unmet Needs Requests
> >
> > Problem Statement:
> >
> > It has been observed that an organization requesting IPv4 resources
> > under NRPM Section 4.10, Dedicated IPv4 Block To Facilitate IPv6
> > Deployment, can also request similar or the same resources under Section
> > 4.2.1.8, Unmet Needs. This proposal aims to remove this potential for
> > duplicate requests under these sections.
> >
> > Policy Statement:
> >
> > Section 4.1.8.2, Unmet Needs:
> >
> > Current language: Any requests met through a transfer will be considered
> > fulfilled and removed from the waiting list.
> >
> > Proposed language:
> >
> > Any requests met through a transfer or an allocation request fulfilled
> > under Section 4.10 will be considered fulfilled and removed from the
> > waiting list.
> >
> > Timetable for Implementation: Immediate
> >
> > Anything Else:
> >
> > Currently, organizations can receive no more than a /24 at a time under
> > Section 4.10. However, Proposal ARIN-PROP-266, submitted by Chris Tacit
> > and myself, could potentially allow an org to receive up to a /21 under
> > that section, widening the potential for abuse by ?double-dipping?
> > waiting list and transition space requests. As such, this proposal
> > should be considered in that context.
> > _______________________________________________
> > ARIN-PPML
> > You are receiving this message because you are subscribed to
> > the ARIN Public Policy Mailing List (ARIN-PPML at arin.net <mailto:
> ARIN-PPML at arin.net>).
> > Unsubscribe or manage your mailing list subscription at:
> > https://lists.arin.net/mailman/listinfo/arin-ppml <
> https://lists.arin.net/mailman/listinfo/arin-ppml>
> > Please contact info at arin.net <mailto:info at arin.net> if you experience
> any issues.
> > _______________________________________________
> > ARIN-PPML
> > You are receiving this message because you are subscribed to
> > the ARIN Public Policy Mailing List (ARIN-PPML at arin.net <mailto:
> ARIN-PPML at arin.net>).
> > Unsubscribe or manage your mailing list subscription at:
> > https://lists.arin.net/mailman/listinfo/arin-ppml <
> https://lists.arin.net/mailman/listinfo/arin-ppml>
> > Please contact info at arin.net <mailto:info at arin.net> if you experience
> any issues.
>
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: <
> https://lists.arin.net/pipermail/arin-ppml/attachments/20190730/57c0ba4b/attachment.htm
> >
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Subject: Digest Footer
>
> _______________________________________________
> ARIN-PPML mailing list
> ARIN-PPML at arin.net
> https://lists.arin.net/mailman/listinfo/arin-ppml
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> End of ARIN-PPML Digest, Vol 169, Issue 45
> ******************************************
>
_______________________________________________
ARIN-PPML
You are receiving this message because you are subscribed to
the ARIN Public Policy Mailing List (ARIN-PPML at arin.net).
Unsubscribe or manage your mailing list subscription at:
https://lists.arin.net/mailman/listinfo/arin-ppml
Please contact info at arin.net if you experience any issues.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <https://lists.arin.net/pipermail/arin-ppml/attachments/20190730/8ced6eaa/attachment-0001.htm>


More information about the ARIN-PPML mailing list