[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2019-10: Inter-RIR M&A - Seeking Community Comments / 2019-04

Job Snijders job at ntt.net
Wed Jul 17 15:40:16 EDT 2019

(recognising that this thread is less and less about M&A and more and more
about 2019-04. I apologize for having contributed to a conflation of the
two policy proposals. I hope the AC will recontextualize these comments)

On Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 12:39:54PM -0400, Joe Provo wrote:
> > 1/ Currently the ARIN RPKI TAL is measurably less deployed than any of
> [snip]
>
> I fail to understand bringing this back into it. You were flatly asked
> when the TAL issue is resolved, would this policy still be needed and
> your answer was yes, because of desire [citation
> https://lists.arin.net/pipermail/arin-ppml/2019-April/066381.html].

My intention was to bring up as a real example where a RIR's policy leads
to tangible operational issues. In the email you reference, my observation
is that that RIRs evolve over time and may perform excellent, or perhaps
regress. This is the nature of any organization - staff, board, and
zeitgeist all change over time. Heck, even the legal environment or risk
profile can change, forcing a RIR's hand to make certain choices; this in
turn influences the choices operators may make.

Since a RIR's 'performance' (for lack of better wording) is not fixed but
rather is a variable, I think the concept of a “lock-in” may have downsides
in some scenarios.

> Registry shopping is counter to ICP-2 and I assert a Bad Thing for the
Internet as a whole.

Can I ask you to explain to me in layman’s words how or where ICP-2
suggests choice of RIR (transfers / mobility) explicitly was not a goal?

Even if resource lock-in was an objective, isn't strange that the
implementation of that idea depends on a single emerging technology (IPv6),
where a resource transfer blockage is used as the enforcement mechanism to
prevent "registry shopping"? Do we accept as an extreme outcome that ARIN
maybe one day mostly is an IPv6 resource registry (meaning the other types
of Number Resources are managed elsewhere)?

Kind regards,

Job