[arin-ppml] Board Rejects "ARIN-prop-266: BGP Hijacking is an ARIN Policy Violation” Due to Scope

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Mon Jul 15 22:50:11 EDT 2019

On 7/13/2019 4:04 PM, John Curran wrote:

> It is quite congruent, once you realize that ARIN cannot provide rights
> to that which it does not control, so “exclusive use” granted is solely
> with respect to the ARIN registry.

Which is why I have many times in the past harped on the importance of
ARIN keeping the whois registry free of entries from people who - due to
inane "privacy" arguments - feel it is their right to put bogus contact
information into their publicly accessible whois records.

You keep saying ARIN is only a number registry but what good is a number
registry that cannot provide accurate information about who
has what registered so that courts can use that data to figure out
who is right in a dispute?

There are some members who are STILL pushing this ridiculous notion
that they should be able to "hide" whois data even though the majority
of members do not accept that (at least, not anymore) and these people
do end-runs around the requirement for accurate whois data.  And is
ARIN still being proactive about identifying them and forcing them to
correct it?

If you want to be "just a registry" and stay out of routing politics
that's fine but then BE a registry and be aggressive about keeping bogus
data out of whois!!!

Ted Mittelstaedt
Portlandia Cloud Services