[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2019-2: Waiting List Block Size Restriction

Mike Burns mike at iptrading.com
Wed Feb 27 10:14:59 EST 2019


The whole concept is way beyond our remit as number stewards and prone to corruption.

The only way I could see it work is if the proceeds are refunded directly via a fee reduction.

That is *basically* the way it is working in RIPE.

 

I would avoid this concept as I think it would take a long time to consider all the potential problems that could arise from the various incentives of the players. Would it even be legal, under ARIN’s corporate registration, to enter the business of selling addresses and keeping the proceeds?  Isn’t ARIN also a regulator of those sales? Now it is competing with other sellers?  Will it time the market, knowing the pipeline of blocks in the recovery process? Is that fair to other buyers and sellers?  Won’t ARIN have the incentive to raise the price as high as possible?

 

I would rather do nothing than start selling “recovered” addresses, with ARIN acting as decider of what addresses are recovered and how to spend the money earned from selling them. Although it has a certain appeal and logic, the potential problems outweigh the benefits.

 

Regards,
Mike

 

 

 

 

From: ARIN-PPML <arin-ppml-bounces at arin.net> On Behalf Of Dan Oachs
Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2019 9:57 AM
To: arin-ppml at arin.net
Subject: Re: [arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2019-2: Waiting List Block Size Restriction

 

I agree with Albert here.  I'm sure there would be lots of details to work out but at first glance auctioning off the numbers and then using that money for special projects ( NOT for buying more IPv4 addresses ) sounds like a good idea to me.

 

--Dan

 

 


The auction idea for ARIN might be a good idea. Instead of just "giving" 
the numbers to the next person on the waiting list, put them up for bid. 
However, I disagree with using the proceeds to buy more numbers, as this 
is a bad idea. Instead, use it for special projects or to reduce on a 
short term basis the fees charged to its members and others as a pass on.

Albert Erdmann
Network Administrator
Paradise On Line Inc.


On Tue, 26 Feb 2019, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:

>
> In message <FB7268F3-FDDF-453B-9797-0EE2706A6503 at cubemotion.com <mailto:FB7268F3-FDDF-453B-9797-0EE2706A6503 at cubemotion.com> >,
> Robert Clarke <robert at cubemotion.com <mailto:robert at cubemotion.com> > wrote:
>
>> My proposal is that ARIN auctions off all available IPv4 ranges reserved
>> for allocations under 4.2 policy and pockets the proceeds.
>
> This was always and inevitably going to be the end game anyway... a true
> and unfettered free market, where money talks and the devil takes the
> hindmost.  Or to quote one of the greates SciFi movies of all time
> (Alien, 1979) "A survivor - unclouded by conscience, remorse, or
> delusions of morality."
>
>> Excess funds can be used to buy up additional IPs to bolster ARIN
>> reserves, for an endowment, or potentially some other charitable venture.
>
> Sorry, but that part is just nuts.  Sell IP address so that you can
> buy IP addresses??  That makes no sense at all.  Much better to invest
> the money in real estate.  And as it happens, I understand that there
> are some condos for sale in Trump Tower.  For some reason, the Russians
> who used to own them don't seem to want them anymore.
>
> Oops!  Sorry.  My bad.  There are -no- Russians who own condos in Trump
> Tower.  There are however a number of offshore corporations that do own
> condos in Trump Tower.  But you know, we can't tell you who owns those
> because, you know, that's confidential.
>
>
> Regards,
> rfg
> _______________________________________________
> ARIN-PPML
> You are receiving this message because you are subscribed to
> the ARIN Public Policy Mailing List (ARIN-PPML at arin.net <mailto:ARIN-PPML at arin.net> ).
> Unsubscribe or manage your mailing list subscription at:
> https://lists.arin.net/mailman/listinfo/arin-ppml
> Please contact info at arin.net <mailto:info at arin.net>  if you experience any issues.
>
_______________________________________________
ARIN-PPML
You are receiving this message because you are subscribed to
the ARIN Public Policy Mailing List (ARIN-PPML at arin.net <mailto:ARIN-PPML at arin.net> ).
Unsubscribe or manage your mailing list subscription at:
https://lists.arin.net/mailman/listinfo/arin-ppml
Please contact info at arin.net <mailto:info at arin.net>  if you experience any issues.

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <https://lists.arin.net/pipermail/arin-ppml/attachments/20190227/55badcb1/attachment-0002.html>


More information about the ARIN-PPML mailing list