[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2019-2: Waiting List Block Size Restriction

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Thu Feb 28 20:39:04 EST 2019

In message <CAP-guGXr7k7v=-XZi05yrTMzThL224agBkwn2xF_0yO2hCB7YQ at mail.gmail.com>
William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:

>... For $20k a pop, I can clear
>a tidy profit on a year, a shell company and some paperwork.

As I understand it, the RIPE region has adopted a 2-year waiting period.

Not that that really seems to have helped in any meaningful way.  As I
already noted, these games are being played over there also, and as far
as I am currently aware, on just as grand a scale as in the ARIN region,
if not moreso.

>This approach is reactive. Oh, the fraud is mostly on the big blocks
>so stop that. Oh, now the fraud is on the smaller blocks, what do we
>do?

I reiterate that in the RIPE region, they have for some time been limiting
new allocations to just /22s.  The only apparent effect of this limitation
has been to force the game participants into setting up rather larger
numbers of shell companies.  Given that each of those can be maufactured,
both quickly and for a cost well under $100 apiece in many jurisdictions
on both sides of the pond, this has not proven to be any meaningful
impediment to the game whatsoever.

The funny thing is that pretty much everybody in the RIPE region seems to
know exactly what's going on here, and it isn't even all that hard, in
general, to figure out who is doing it.  The main difference is that in
the RIPE region, even though everybody knows, nobody really gives much
of a damn.  The IP speculators like things just as they are, and any
attempt to change the rules of the game, even slightly, causes them all,
in unison, to start screaming like stuck pigs.  The management at RIPE NCC
doesn't want to have to deal with all of their incessant wailing and moaning,
and since nobody can ever get unanimous consent to change the rules, the
game just goes on and on.

I may be unhappy that John C. has not seen fit to make public the names
of the greedy jerks who are playing these games in the ARIN region, but
I at least have to give both him and his people due credit for giving a
damn, for noticing, and for reacting, quickly and appropriately.  That's
a hell of a lot more than what's been coming out of the RIPE region lately,
where the pigs are left to feed at the trough without any notable restraint.

Regards,
rfg