[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2019-2: Waiting List Block Size Restriction

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed Feb 27 07:05:49 EST 2019

On 27 Feb 2019, at 1:33 AM, Ronald F. Guilmette <rfg at tristatelogic.com> wrote:

> In message <B41DBCEA-276F-4E5A-8B7D-68CFF4B943CA at arin.net>,
> John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
>
>> If you wish complete transparency regarding fraudulent requests, that can
>> be accommodated, but first requires the community to come to consensus that
>> requests for number resource activities (issuance/transfers/updates) should
>> be made publicly.   To my knowledge, there has been no proposal or
>> discussion of this stance within the ARIN community.
>
> Well, I don't seriously expect this to actually go anywhere, and I don't
> know -any- of the proper formalities or mechanics of how to do this, but
> yes, I would like to put forward a proposal, at this time, that all number
> resource activities (issuance/transfers/updates) should be made a matter
> of public record at the time of their occurrence.... if they are not so
> already.
>
> In fact, I will go a bit farther and say that I'm more than a little bit
> surprised to hear the suggestion that this is not already the case.  Isn't
> the ARIN WHOIS data base already accurately and publicly documenting any
> and all issuance/transfers/updates at the time of their occurrence?

The registry is public.  The _requests_ to change the registry (which often require detailed technical and business information to meet the policies that this community sets) are not public.

> Color me puzzled
> I'm quite completely sure that many would wish that the ARIN WHOIS data
> base were now and would forever after be a secret document known only to
> a select and privleged few, but if it is your goal or intent to move
> things in that direction, then I respectfully ask that you plese do get
> on with it, and let's finally have no more of these shallow pretenses that
> the things that ARIN and and its members do are either entirely above board
> -or- subject to anything resembling open public scrutiny.

See above.  The registry is already public (and, as noted previously, the requests to change the registry can also be public if the community desires such, but presently are not public given the information required to validate proper requests.)

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO