[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2019-2: Waiting List Block Size Restriction

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Wed Feb 27 01:53:01 EST 2019

In message <FB7268F3-FDDF-453B-9797-0EE2706A6503 at cubemotion.com>,
Robert Clarke <robert at cubemotion.com> wrote:

>My proposal is that ARIN auctions off all available IPv4 ranges reserved
>for allocations under 4.2 policy and pockets the proceeds.

This was always and inevitably going to be the end game anyway... a true
and unfettered free market, where money talks and the devil takes the
hindmost.  Or to quote one of the greates SciFi movies of all time
(Alien, 1979) "A survivor - unclouded by conscience, remorse, or
delusions of morality."

>Excess funds can be used to buy up additional IPs to bolster ARIN
>reserves, for an endowment, or potentially some other charitable venture.

Sorry, but that part is just nuts.  Sell IP address so that you can
buy IP addresses??  That makes no sense at all.  Much better to invest
the money in real estate.  And as it happens, I understand that there
are some condos for sale in Trump Tower.  For some reason, the Russians
who used to own them don't seem to want them anymore.

Oops!  Sorry.  My bad.  There are -no- Russians who own condos in Trump
Tower.  There are however a number of offshore corporations that do own
condos in Trump Tower.  But you know, we can't tell you who owns those
because, you know, that's confidential.

Regards,
rfg