[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2019-4: Allow Inter-regional IPv6 Resource Transfers

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Fri Apr 5 10:32:06 EDT 2019


Jordi,

No problem, what I'm asking the community is if people support the
use-cases you brought up. If they do, it seems like those use-cases need to
be added to the problem statement. In my opinion, the current problem
statement seems overly focused on the RPKI issue even to the point where it
could be implying RPKI is the only reason you might want to transfer IPv6
resources to another region.

I'd propose the following rewrite of the problem statement;

There are operational reasons to allow transfers of IPv6 resources between
RIRs with an equivalent transfer policy.

ARIN’s RPKI Trust Anchor (TA) is measurably less widely deployed than TAs
from other RIRs. As a consequence, RPKI ROAs published through ARIN offer
less value. Operators seeking to extract the most value from their
investment in IPv6 would benefit from the ability to transfer IPv6
resources to RIRs with more widely deployed RPKI Trust Anchors.

Apart from RPKI, an organization may wish to consolidate or manage the
entirety of their resources, including IPv6, via a single RIR. For example,
after acquiring an entity in another region or being acquired by an entity
based in another region.

Or, an organization may wish to move its resources, including IPv6, to more
accurately reflect where their resources are now in use. For example, if
the organization is no longer operating within the ARIN region, it seems
reasonable to move its resources to a region where they continue to operate.


Comments or suggestions, please.

Thanks

On Wed, Mar 27, 2019 at 3:28 AM JORDI PALET MARTINEZ via ARIN-PPML <
arin-ppml at arin.net> wrote:

> Hi David,
>
>
>
> Sorry if somehow my input was “miss procedural” … the reason for that is
> because I’ve proposed an equivalent policy in several RIRs (in terms the
> final result: allowing IPv6 transfers), and this was one of the examples
> I’ve used.
>
>
>
> And just to make it clear, I also support the policy proposal for the
> reasons indicated in the actual proposal text.
>
>
>
> Here is a message about that with some other examples:
>
>
>
>
> https://mailman.apnic.net/mailing-lists/sig-policy/archive/2019/03/msg00003.html
>
>
>
>
>
> Regarsds,
>
> Jordi
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> El 27/3/19 2:40, "David Farmer" <farmer at umn.edu> escribió:
>
>
>
> As one of the shepherds for this policy, beyond support for the policy as
> written, I'm interested to hear if there is support for the use case Jordi
> describes?
>
>
>
> The use case Jordi describes seems meaningfully different than the use
> case described in the original problem statement. It seems plausible that
> there are resolutions, other than the transfer of IPv6, to the RPKI issues
> described in the current problem statement. However, for the use
> case that Jordi describes, some kind of the inter-RIR M&A transfer, the
> transfer of IPv6 resources seems like it could be reasonable, even if the
> RPKI issues are resolved by means other than this policy.
>
>
>
> So, should Jordi's use case be included in addition to the current problem
> statement?
>
>
>
> Are there other use cases for the inter-RIR transfer of IPv6 resources
> that should be considered in the problem statement as well?
>
>
>
> Thanks.
>
>
>
>
>
> On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 4:46 PM JORDI PALET MARTINEZ via ARIN-PPML <
> arin-ppml at arin.net> wrote:
>
> In favor of the proposal.
>
> My point of view is on the other way around.
>
> This policy is needed, because if there is a company under an M&A or
> reorganization, it seems clear that then it is transferred IPv4, IPv6, ASN.
> But there may be cases where is not entirely failing into that category.
>
> For example, a "relocation". A company having VMs in data centers, in
> Europe (with resources from RIPE NCC) and moving to US (for whatever
> reasons). I don't expect they will renumber the VMs, they will just copy &
> synchronize the VMs and switch off the old VMs.
>
> It will not make sense to tell them "you can transfer" your IPv4
> resources, but you need to renumber IPv6.
>
> There may be other cases which similar needs.
>
> Regards,
> Jordi
>
>
>
> El 26/3/19 22:35, "ARIN-PPML en nombre de John Santos" <
> arin-ppml-bounces at arin.net en nombre de john at egh.com> escribió:
>
>
>     On 3/26/2019 3:52 PM, ARIN wrote:
>     > There is an operational need to allow RIR transfers of IPv6
> resources
>     > between RIRs with an equivalent transfer policy. ARIN’s RPKI Trust
>     > Anchor (TA) is measurably less widely deployed than TAs from other
>     > RIRs. As a consequence, RPKI ROAs published through ARIN offer less
>     > value. Operators seeking to extract the most value from their
>     > investment in IPv6 would benefit from the ability to transfer IPv6
>     > resources to RIRs with more widely deployed RPKI Trust Anchors.
>     Wouldn't it make more sense to increase the deployment of RPKI in the
>     ARIN region than to open this can of worms?
>
>     --
>     John Santos
>     Evans Griffiths & Hart, Inc.
>     781-861-0670 ext 539
>
>     _______________________________________________
>     ARIN-PPML
>     You are receiving this message because you are subscribed to
>     the ARIN Public Policy Mailing List (ARIN-PPML at arin.net).
>     Unsubscribe or manage your mailing list subscription at:
>     https://lists.arin.net/mailman/listinfo/arin-ppml
>     Please contact info at arin.net if you experience any issues.
>
>
>
>
> **********************************************
> IPv4 is over
> Are you ready for the new Internet ?
> http://www.theipv6company.com
> The IPv6 Company
>
> This electronic message contains information which may be privileged or
> confidential. The information is intended to be for the exclusive use of
> the individual(s) named above and further non-explicilty authorized
> disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this
> information, even if partially, including attached files, is strictly
> prohibited and will be considered a criminal offense. If you are not the
> intended recipient be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or
> use of the contents of this information, even if partially, including
> attached files, is strictly prohibited, will be considered a criminal
> offense, so you must reply to the original sender to inform about this
> communication and delete it.
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> ARIN-PPML
> You are receiving this message because you are subscribed to
> the ARIN Public Policy Mailing List (ARIN-PPML at arin.net).
> Unsubscribe or manage your mailing list subscription at:
> https://lists.arin.net/mailman/listinfo/arin-ppml
> Please contact info at arin.net if you experience any issues.
>
>
>
>
> --
>
> ===============================================
> David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
> Networking & Telecommunication Services
> Office of Information Technology
> University of Minnesota
> 2218 University Ave SE        Phone: 612-626-0815
> Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952
> ===============================================
>
> **********************************************
> IPv4 is over
> Are you ready for the new Internet ?
> http://www.theipv6company.com
> The IPv6 Company
>
> This electronic message contains information which may be privileged or
> confidential. The information is intended to be for the exclusive use of
> the individual(s) named above and further non-explicilty authorized
> disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this
> information, even if partially, including attached files, is strictly
> prohibited and will be considered a criminal offense. If you are not the
> intended recipient be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or
> use of the contents of this information, even if partially, including
> attached files, is strictly prohibited, will be considered a criminal
> offense, so you must reply to the original sender to inform about this
> communication and delete it.
>
> _______________________________________________
> ARIN-PPML
> You are receiving this message because you are subscribed to
> the ARIN Public Policy Mailing List (ARIN-PPML at arin.net).
> Unsubscribe or manage your mailing list subscription at:
> https://lists.arin.net/mailman/listinfo/arin-ppml
> Please contact info at arin.net if you experience any issues.
>


-- 
===============================================
David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE        Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952
===============================================
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <https://lists.arin.net/pipermail/arin-ppml/attachments/20190405/2acff05f/attachment-0002.html>


More information about the ARIN-PPML mailing list