[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2019-4: Allow Inter-regional IPv6 Resource Transfers

Martin Hannigan hannigan at gmail.com
Thu Apr 4 17:21:42 EDT 2019


Spot on.

On Wed, Mar 27, 2019 at 4:29 AM JORDI PALET MARTINEZ via ARIN-PPML <
arin-ppml at arin.net> wrote:

> Hi David,
>
>
>
> Sorry if somehow my input was “miss procedural” … the reason for that is
> because I’ve proposed an equivalent policy in several RIRs (in terms the
> final result: allowing IPv6 transfers), and this was one of the examples
> I’ve used.
>
>
>
> And just to make it clear, I also support the policy proposal for the
> reasons indicated in the actual proposal text.
>
>
>
> Here is a message about that with some other examples:
>
>
>
>
> https://mailman.apnic.net/mailing-lists/sig-policy/archive/2019/03/msg00003.html
>
>
>
>
>
> Regarsds,
>
> Jordi
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> El 27/3/19 2:40, "David Farmer" <farmer at umn.edu> escribió:
>
>
>
> As one of the shepherds for this policy, beyond support for the policy as
> written, I'm interested to hear if there is support for the use case Jordi
> describes?
>
>
>
> The use case Jordi describes seems meaningfully different than the use
> case described in the original problem statement. It seems plausible that
> there are resolutions, other than the transfer of IPv6, to the RPKI issues
> described in the current problem statement. However, for the use
> case that Jordi describes, some kind of the inter-RIR M&A transfer, the
> transfer of IPv6 resources seems like it could be reasonable, even if the
> RPKI issues are resolved by means other than this policy.
>
>
>
> So, should Jordi's use case be included in addition to the current problem
> statement?
>
>
>
> Are there other use cases for the inter-RIR transfer of IPv6 resources
> that should be considered in the problem statement as well?
>
>
>
> Thanks.
>
>
>
>
>
> On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 4:46 PM JORDI PALET MARTINEZ via ARIN-PPML <
> arin-ppml at arin.net> wrote:
>
> In favor of the proposal.
>
> My point of view is on the other way around.
>
> This policy is needed, because if there is a company under an M&A or
> reorganization, it seems clear that then it is transferred IPv4, IPv6, ASN.
> But there may be cases where is not entirely failing into that category.
>
> For example, a "relocation". A company having VMs in data centers, in
> Europe (with resources from RIPE NCC) and moving to US (for whatever
> reasons). I don't expect they will renumber the VMs, they will just copy &
> synchronize the VMs and switch off the old VMs.
>
> It will not make sense to tell them "you can transfer" your IPv4
> resources, but you need to renumber IPv6.
>
> There may be other cases which similar needs.
>
> Regards,
> Jordi
>
>
>
> El 26/3/19 22:35, "ARIN-PPML en nombre de John Santos" <
> arin-ppml-bounces at arin.net en nombre de john at egh.com> escribió:
>
>
>     On 3/26/2019 3:52 PM, ARIN wrote:
>     > There is an operational need to allow RIR transfers of IPv6
> resources
>     > between RIRs with an equivalent transfer policy. ARIN’s RPKI Trust
>     > Anchor (TA) is measurably less widely deployed than TAs from other
>     > RIRs. As a consequence, RPKI ROAs published through ARIN offer less
>     > value. Operators seeking to extract the most value from their
>     > investment in IPv6 would benefit from the ability to transfer IPv6
>     > resources to RIRs with more widely deployed RPKI Trust Anchors.
>     Wouldn't it make more sense to increase the deployment of RPKI in the
>     ARIN region than to open this can of worms?
>
>     --
>     John Santos
>     Evans Griffiths & Hart, Inc.
>     781-861-0670 ext 539
>
>     _______________________________________________
>     ARIN-PPML
>     You are receiving this message because you are subscribed to
>     the ARIN Public Policy Mailing List (ARIN-PPML at arin.net).
>     Unsubscribe or manage your mailing list subscription at:
>     https://lists.arin.net/mailman/listinfo/arin-ppml
>     Please contact info at arin.net if you experience any issues.
>
>
>
>
> **********************************************
> IPv4 is over
> Are you ready for the new Internet ?
> http://www.theipv6company.com
> The IPv6 Company
>
> This electronic message contains information which may be privileged or
> confidential. The information is intended to be for the exclusive use of
> the individual(s) named above and further non-explicilty authorized
> disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this
> information, even if partially, including attached files, is strictly
> prohibited and will be considered a criminal offense. If you are not the
> intended recipient be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or
> use of the contents of this information, even if partially, including
> attached files, is strictly prohibited, will be considered a criminal
> offense, so you must reply to the original sender to inform about this
> communication and delete it.
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> ARIN-PPML
> You are receiving this message because you are subscribed to
> the ARIN Public Policy Mailing List (ARIN-PPML at arin.net).
> Unsubscribe or manage your mailing list subscription at:
> https://lists.arin.net/mailman/listinfo/arin-ppml
> Please contact info at arin.net if you experience any issues.
>
>
>
>
> --
>
> ===============================================
> David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
> Networking & Telecommunication Services
> Office of Information Technology
> University of Minnesota
> 2218 University Ave SE        Phone: 612-626-0815
> Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952
> ===============================================
>
> **********************************************
> IPv4 is over
> Are you ready for the new Internet ?
> http://www.theipv6company.com
> The IPv6 Company
>
> This electronic message contains information which may be privileged or
> confidential. The information is intended to be for the exclusive use of
> the individual(s) named above and further non-explicilty authorized
> disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this
> information, even if partially, including attached files, is strictly
> prohibited and will be considered a criminal offense. If you are not the
> intended recipient be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or
> use of the contents of this information, even if partially, including
> attached files, is strictly prohibited, will be considered a criminal
> offense, so you must reply to the original sender to inform about this
> communication and delete it.
>
> _______________________________________________
> ARIN-PPML
> You are receiving this message because you are subscribed to
> the ARIN Public Policy Mailing List (ARIN-PPML at arin.net).
> Unsubscribe or manage your mailing list subscription at:
> https://lists.arin.net/mailman/listinfo/arin-ppml
> Please contact info at arin.net if you experience any issues.
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <https://lists.arin.net/pipermail/arin-ppml/attachments/20190404/ae46947b/attachment-0002.html>


More information about the ARIN-PPML mailing list