[arin-ppml] [EXT] Re: Open Petition for ARIN-prop-266: BGP Hijacking is an ARIN Policy Violation

Michel Py michel at arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us
Sat Apr 27 11:26:16 EDT 2019

> JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote :
> This proposal is being discussed already in RIPE and LACNIC and we are working
> in the relevant changes for versions to be submitted in AFRINIC and APNIC.

Hi Jordi,

How are the other RIRs reacting to it ?

For the sake of the argument, let's say that this petition goes forward, and that somehow BGP Hijacking becomes an ARIN Policy Violation.
Let's assume that with all due process, ARIN actually finds that an ARIN member has intentionally hijacked BGP prefixes and therefore is in violation of Policy.

What is ARIN going to do about it ? a fine ? invalidating their ARIN membership and reclaiming legit prefixes that the member may have ? Taking their ASN back ?

I have said recently that I thought ARIN was a little too careful with potential legal liabilities (about the TAL thing) but this does not strike me as something we want ARIN to do.

Michel.