[arin-ppml] Open Petition for ARIN-prop-266: BGP Hijacking is an ARIN Policy Violation

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Apr 26 13:39:35 EDT 2019

On Fri, Apr 26, 2019 at 9:15 AM ARIN <info at arin.net> wrote:

> A petition has been initiated for the following:
>
> ARIN-prop-266: BGP Hijacking is an ARIN Policy Violation
>
> This proposal was rejected due to scope at the 10 April meeting of the
> Advisory Council.
>
> To support this petition, simply send a response to the Public Policy
> Mailing list stating your support, name, and organization.

On behalf of myself, I SUPPORT the petition.

AFAICT the AC ruled the proposal out of scope on the grounds that ARIN is
not in the business of being an Internet routing cop. This proposition is
incorrect. By enforcing minimum assignments throughout its history, ARIN
has long been a key gatekeeper for access to the Internet's BGP routing
system. While mild on the scale of Internet traffic-copishness, it
nevertheless puts Internet Routing Cop proposals in scope.

I oppose the proposed policy, but I think it reasonable for us to
occasionally discuss and evaluate whether ARIN should be Internet-Cop in
some novel new way. And re-evaluate whether it should continue to act as
routing cop in the ways it currently does. The AC need not protect us from
that discussion.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us