[arin-ppml] Revised - Draft Policy ARIN-2018-5: Disallow Third-party Organization Record Creation

Jo Rhett jrhett at netconsonance.com
Tue Apr 2 19:17:22 EDT 2019

On Apr 1, 2019, at 4:45 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
> as it occurs to me that the following dilemma comes into play:
>
> I, as a contractor, often create ORG records for (and at the request of) my clients. I’m not their ISP and I’m not creating the records without their knowledge or informed consent (which is the real problem here). In fact, I only create them when I am in the process of preparing an IP and/or ASN request for them.

I agree completely with everything Owen said, as I often work in the same capacity.

There also exists situations where a data center (or other organizations) which doesn't own or provide IP assists its customers with preparation of documents for self-management. Perhaps even coarser, there are datacenter utilities and programs that help people prepare or fill out forms. This is under the direction or express action of the customer, but may be generated programatically.

It's hard to read the current proposal and understand the responsibilities in that context. I think we should be friendly to automation opportunities for people who only interact with ARIN once or twice in their organization's lifetime. (especially in the v6 era)

--
Jo Rhett