[arin-ppml] ARIN discontinuing DNSSEC capability to legacy holders

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Fri Oct 5 21:34:11 EDT 2018

On 5 Oct 2018, at 10:58 AM, hostmaster at uneedus.com wrote:

> Forty-one percent is NOT a low number, which is likely why ARIN is trying hard to get more entities to sign an LRSA/RSAA.  So much for thinking this issue will go away sometime in my lifetime.

Albert -

ARIN isn’t particularly “trying hard” to get entities to sign a registration services agreement – we inform legacy resources holders of its availability and the fact that under it that they'll receive our registration services with the maintenance fees per end-users, only with a cap on their total invoice due to legacy status <https://www.arin.net/fees/fee_schedule.html#legacy_fee>

We also inform them of the registry services that they receive if they are not under a registration services agreement <https://www.arin.net/resources/legacy/services.html>

> However, I suspect most of the /24's reflected in the chart are actually part of those /8's that we have been discussing and that a small holder of just 2 /24's such as the one that started this thread are in fact VERY rare.  I also suspect that a majority of that 41.3% are in fact members because of receiving other resources.

Quite likely, and particularly as more organizations come and get IPv6 number resources.

I’ll note that you use the term “members”, whereas you probably mean contracted customers – end-user organizations and legacy holders with agreements are “customers”, as opposed to legacy resource holders receiving basic services (who are effectively “customers w/o contract”)

The term “ARIN Member” applies generally to ISPs (who via their Registration Services Plan often are paying significantly more for registry services) and those end-users/legacy holders who opt to become ARIN Members or become ARIN Members by opting for a Registration Services Plan.

> Knowing the balance between members and non members is important in understanding how important this issue is to the community.
>
> Is there any statistics on:
>
> Total number of entities who hold legacy resources?
>
> Average number of /24's of legacy space that these entities hold?
>
> Total number of these entities that hold a /22 or less of legacy space?
>
> Total number of these entities that hold an /8 or more of legacy space?
>
> Percent of /24's that do not pay dues at all?

We will research and prepare some statistics regarding block distribution among legacy resource holders.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO