[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2018-4: Clarification on IPv6 Sub-Assignments

Chris Woodfield chris at semihuman.com
Thu May 10 11:19:35 EDT 2018


The two terms, from my reading, are synonymous but carry different implications, with the term “non-permanently” implying a longer period of time than “temporarily". In practice, It will most likely be a distinction built into how addresses are assigned by the organization (i.e. static or dynamic assignment); would using that as our distinction be a useful avenue to explore?

-C

> On May 10, 2018, at 8:07 AM, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ <jordi.palet at consulintel.es> wrote:
> 
> When I first used “temporarily” in a preliminary version of the proposal, I was argued that it is not clear then if it is “minutes, hours, days, …”, so non-permanently, looks like clearer in that sense … It may be a matter of not being native English speaker.
>  
> 
> Regards,
> Jordi
> 
>  
> 
>  
> De: ARIN-PPML <arin-ppml-bounces at arin.net> en nombre de John Santos <john at egh.com>
> Fecha: jueves, 10 de mayo de 2018, 15:01
> Para: <arin-ppml at arin.net>
> Asunto: Re: [arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2018-4: Clarification on IPv6 Sub-Assignments
>  
> I find the word "temporarily" even more obvious than "non-permanently".  If those two words don't mean the same thing, then we definitely need a definition.
> 
>  
> On 5/10/2018 5:08 AM, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:
>> What will be your opinion if I amend this proposal, so it works for both IPv4 and IPv6, having this text in section 2.5 (Allocate and Assign), make it shorter and more generic:
>>  
>> “A unique IPv4 or IPv6 address or a unique IPv6 /64 prefix, which is non-permanently provided to third parties, shall not be considered an assignment”
>>  
>> Alternatively, if we don’t want to go so far as to define the “size”:
>>  
>> “An IPv4 or IPv6 block of address, which is non-permanently provided to third parties, shall not be considered an assignment”
>>  
>> I didn’t found short-term defined in the NRPM. Do you still think we need to define “permanently” ? I think saying non-permanently it is quite obvious, but maybe folks disagree …
>> 
>> Regards,
>> Jordi
>> 
>>  
>> 
>>  
>> De: ARIN-PPML <arin-ppml-bounces at arin.net> <mailto:arin-ppml-bounces at arin.net> en nombre de Jo Rhett <jrhett at netconsonance.com> <mailto:jrhett at netconsonance.com>
>> Fecha: miércoles, 9 de mayo de 2018, 20:37
>> Para: <andrew.dul at quark.net> <mailto:andrew.dul at quark.net>
>> CC: <arin-ppml at arin.net> <mailto:arin-ppml at arin.net>
>> Asunto: Re: [arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2018-4: Clarification on IPv6 Sub-Assignments
>>  
>> "Nominative, verb indirect" isn't English ;) Clean english structure would be:
>> 
>> " <>A unique address or a unique /64 prefix that is non-permanently provided to third parties shall not be considered an assignment. "
>> 
>> Or if you really want a descriptive phrase that modifies the nominative you can get commas like so:
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> "A unique address or a unique /64 prefix, which is non-permanently provided to third parties, shall not be considered an assignment."
>> 
>> I would also argue that this phrase is very vague unless "permanently" is defined elsewhere in the document. Wasn't there some phrasing around short-term assignment? (sorry, too busy/too lazy to grab the entire doc right now)
>>  
>> On Fri, May 4, 2018 at 6:40 PM Andrew Dul <andrew.dul at quark.net <mailto:andrew.dul at quark.net>> wrote:
>>> I'd like to suggest that the proposed policy text be shorted and clarified.  I don't believe all the examples are necessary in the definition section.
>>> 
>>> Add to the end of NRPM Section 2.5 - https://www.arin.net/policy/nrpm.html#two5 <https://www.arin.net/policy/nrpm.html#two5>
>>> 
>>> Current draft text: 
>>> 
>>> The fact that a unique address or even a unique /64 prefix is non-permanently provided to third parties, on a link operated by the original receiver of the assignment, shall not be considered a sub-assignment. This includes, for example, guests or employees (devices or servers), hotspots, and point-to-point links or VPNs. The provision of addressing for permanent connectivity or broadband services is still considered a sub-assignment. Only the addressing of the point-to-point link itself can be permanent and that addressing can't be used (neither directly or indirectly) for the actual communication. 
>>> 
>>> My suggested rewrite:
>>> 
>>> A unique address or a unique /64 prefix that is non-permanently provided to third parties, shall not be considered an assignment. 
>>> 
>>>  
>>> 
>>> On 4/24/2018 11:57 AM, David Farmer wrote:
>>>> I note that the text in question is the subject of an editorial change that the AC has recently forwarded to Board for review, at a minimum the policy text need to be updated to account for this editorial change. Further, I do not support the text as written.
>>>> 
>>>> I support a change to section 2 that is not quite so IPv6 specific and focused more on the idea that providing hotspot, guest access, or other such temporary access does not necessitate the making of re-assignments from a policy perspective.  Furthermore, such uses are not in conflict with the conditions of an assignment (made by ARIN) or re-assignment (made by an ISP or LIR). Also, If the details of RFC8273 need to be mentioned at all, they should be someplace in section 6, not in section 2, the definitions of assign, allocate, re-assign and re-allocate should remain agnostic about IP version.
>>>> 
>>>> Thanks.     
>>>>  
>>>> On Mon, Apr 23, 2018 at 2:22 PM, ARIN <info at arin.net <mailto:info at arin.net>> wrote:
>>>>> On 18 April 2018 the ARIN Advisory Council (AC) accepted "ARIN-prop-254: Clarification on IPv6 Sub-Assignments" as a Draft Policy.
>>>>> 
>>>>> Draft Policy ARIN-2018-4 is below and can be found at:
>>>>> https://www.arin.net/policy/proposals/2018_4.html <https://www.arin.net/policy/proposals/2018_4.html>
>>>>> 
>>>>> You are encouraged to discuss all Draft Policies on PPML. The AC will evaluate the discussion in order to assess the conformance of this draft policy with ARIN's Principles of Internet number resource policy as stated in the Policy Development Process (PDP). Specifically, these principles are:
>>>>> 
>>>>>  * Enabling Fair and Impartial Number Resource Administration
>>>>>  * Technically Sound
>>>>>  * Supported by the Community
>>>>> 
>>>>> The PDP can be found at:
>>>>> https://www.arin.net/policy/pdp.html <https://www.arin.net/policy/pdp.html>
>>>>> 
>>>>> Draft Policies and Proposals under discussion can be found at:
>>>>> https://www.arin.net/policy/proposals/index.html <https://www.arin.net/policy/proposals/index.html>
>>>>> 
>>>>> Regards,
>>>>> 
>>>>> Sean Hopkins
>>>>> Policy Analyst
>>>>> American Registry for Internet Numbers (ARIN)
>>>>> 
>>>>> 
>>>>> 
>>>>> Draft Policy ARIN-2018-4: Clarification on IPv6 Sub-Assignments
>>>>> 
>>>>> Problem Statement:
>>>>> 
>>>>> When the policy was drafted, the concept of assignments/sub-assignments did not consider a practice very common in IPv4 which is replicated and even amplified in IPv6: the use of IP addresses for point-to-point links or VPNs.
>>>>> 
>>>>> In the case of IPv6, instead of unique addresses, the use of unique prefixes (/64) is increasingly common.
>>>>> 
>>>>> Likewise, the policy failed to consider the use of IP addresses in hotspots, or the use of IP addresses by guests or employees in Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) and many other similar cases.
>>>>> 
>>>>> Finally, the IETF has recently approved the use of a unique /64 prefix per interface/host (RFC8273) instead of a unique address. This, for example, allows users to connect to a hotspot, receive a /64 such that they are “isolated” from other users (for reasons of security, regulatory requirements, etc.) and they can also use multiple virtual machines on their devices with a unique address for each one (within the same /64).
>>>>> 
>>>>> Section 2.5 (Definitions/Allocate and Assign), explicitly prohibits such assignments, stating that “Assignments... are not to be sub-assigned to other parties”.
>>>>> 
>>>>> This proposal clarifies this situation in this regard and better define the concept, particularly considering new uses of IPv6 (RFC8273), by means of a new paragraph.
>>>>> 
>>>>> 5.    Policy Statement
>>>>> 
>>>>> Actual Text
>>>>> 
>>>>> •    Assign - To assign means to delegate address space to an ISP or end-user, for specific use within the Internet infrastructure they operate. Assignments must only be made for specific purposes documented by specific organizations and are not to be sub-assigned to other parties.
>>>>> 
>>>>> New Text
>>>>> 
>>>>> •    Assign - To assign means to delegate address space to an ISP or end-user, for specific use within the Internet infrastructure they operate. Assignments must only be made for specific purposes documented by specific organizations and are not to be sub-assigned to other parties.
>>>>> 
>>>>> The fact that a unique address or even a unique /64 prefix is non-permanently provided to third parties, on a link operated by the original receiver of the assignment, shall not be considered a sub-assignment. This includes, for example, guests or employees (devices or servers), hotspots, and point-to-point links or VPNs. The provision of addressing for permanent connectivity or broadband services is still considered a sub-assignment. Only the addressing of the point-to-point link itself can be permanent and that addressing can't be used (neither directly or indirectly) for the actual communication.
>>>>> 
>>>>> 
>>>>> 
>>>>> 6.    Comments
>>>>> 
>>>>> a.    Timetable for implementation:
>>>>> 
>>>>> Immediate
>>>>> 
>>>>> b.    Anything else:
>>>>> 
>>>>> Situation in other regions: This situation, has already been corrected in RIPE, and the policy was updated in a similar way, even if right now there is a small discrepancy between the policy text that reached consensus and the RIPE NCC Impact Analysis. A new policy proposal has been submitted to amend that, and the text is the same as presented by this proposal at ARIN. Same text has also been submitted to AfriNIC, LACNIC and APNIC.
>>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>>> PPML
>>>>> You are receiving this message because you are subscribed to
>>>>> the ARIN Public Policy Mailing List (ARIN-PPML at arin.net <mailto:ARIN-PPML at arin.net>).
>>>>> Unsubscribe or manage your mailing list subscription at:
>>>>> http://lists.arin.net/mailman/listinfo/arin-ppml <http://lists.arin.net/mailman/listinfo/arin-ppml>
>>>>> Please contact info at arin.net <mailto:info at arin.net> if you experience any issues.
>>>> 
>>>> 
>>>> 
>>>>  
>>>> -- 
>>>> ===============================================
>>>> David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu <mailto:Email%3Afarmer at umn.edu>
>>>> Networking & Telecommunication Services
>>>> Office of Information Technology
>>>> University of Minnesota   
>>>> 2218 University Ave SE        Phone: 612-626-0815
>>>> Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952
>>>> ===============================================
>>>> 
>>>> 
>>>> 
>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>> PPML
>>>> You are receiving this message because you are subscribed to
>>>> the ARIN Public Policy Mailing List (ARIN-PPML at arin.net <mailto:ARIN-PPML at arin.net>).
>>>> Unsubscribe or manage your mailing list subscription at:
>>>> http://lists.arin.net/mailman/listinfo/arin-ppml <http://lists.arin.net/mailman/listinfo/arin-ppml>
>>>> Please contact info at arin.net <mailto:info at arin.net> if you experience any issues.
>>>  
>>> 
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> ARIN-PPML
>>> You are receiving this message because you are subscribed to
>>> the ARIN Public Policy Mailing List (ARIN-PPML at arin.net <mailto:ARIN-PPML at arin.net>).
>>> Unsubscribe or manage your mailing list subscription at:
>>> https://lists.arin.net/mailman/listinfo/arin-ppml <https://lists.arin.net/mailman/listinfo/arin-ppml>
>>> Please contact info at arin.net <mailto:info at arin.net> if you experience any issues.
>> 
>> _______________________________________________ ARIN-PPML You are receiving this message because you are subscribed to the ARIN Public Policy Mailing List (ARIN-PPML at arin.net <mailto:ARIN-PPML at arin.net>). Unsubscribe or manage your mailing list subscription at: https://lists.arin.net/mailman/listinfo/arin-ppml <https://lists.arin.net/mailman/listinfo/arin-ppml> Please contact info at arin.net <mailto:info at arin.net> if you experience any issues. 
>> 
>> **********************************************
>> IPv4 is over
>> Are you ready for the new Internet ?
>> http://www.consulintel.es <http://www.consulintel.es/>
>> The IPv6 Company
>> 
>> This electronic message contains information which may be privileged or confidential. The information is intended to be for the exclusive use of the individual(s) named above and further non-explicilty authorized disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information, even if partially, including attached files, is strictly prohibited and will be considered a criminal offense. If you are not the intended recipient be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information, even if partially, including attached files, is strictly prohibited, will be considered a criminal offense, so you must reply to the original sender to inform about this communication and delete it.
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> _______________________________________________
>> ARIN-PPML
>> You are receiving this message because you are subscribed to
>> the ARIN Public Policy Mailing List (ARIN-PPML at arin.net <mailto:ARIN-PPML at arin.net>).
>> Unsubscribe or manage your mailing list subscription at:
>> https://lists.arin.net/mailman/listinfo/arin-ppml <https://lists.arin.net/mailman/listinfo/arin-ppml>
>> Please contact info at arin.net <mailto:info at arin.net> if you experience any issues.
> 
> 
> -- 
> John Santos
> Evans Griffiths & Hart, Inc.
> 781-861-0670 ext 539
> _______________________________________________ ARIN-PPML You are receiving this message because you are subscribed to the ARIN Public Policy Mailing List (ARIN-PPML at arin.net). Unsubscribe or manage your mailing list subscription at: https://lists.arin.net/mailman/listinfo/arin-ppml Please contact info at arin.net if you experience any issues. 
> 
> **********************************************
> IPv4 is over
> Are you ready for the new Internet ?
> http://www.consulintel.es <http://www.consulintel.es/>
> The IPv6 Company
> 
> This electronic message contains information which may be privileged or confidential. The information is intended to be for the exclusive use of the individual(s) named above and further non-explicilty authorized disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information, even if partially, including attached files, is strictly prohibited and will be considered a criminal offense. If you are not the intended recipient be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information, even if partially, including attached files, is strictly prohibited, will be considered a criminal offense, so you must reply to the original sender to inform about this communication and delete it.
> 
> _______________________________________________
> ARIN-PPML
> You are receiving this message because you are subscribed to
> the ARIN Public Policy Mailing List (ARIN-PPML at arin.net <mailto:ARIN-PPML at arin.net>).
> Unsubscribe or manage your mailing list subscription at:
> https://lists.arin.net/mailman/listinfo/arin-ppml <https://lists.arin.net/mailman/listinfo/arin-ppml>
> Please contact info at arin.net <mailto:info at arin.net> if you experience any issues.

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <https://lists.arin.net/pipermail/arin-ppml/attachments/20180510/c3d7db02/attachment.html>


More information about the ARIN-PPML mailing list