[arin-ppml] Beneficial Owners

Bill Woodcock woody at pch.net
Thu Jul 12 17:42:28 EDT 2018

> On Jul 13, 2018, at 6:35 AM, Ronald F. Guilmette <rfg at tristatelogic.com> wrote:
> I would like to know if there
> is, or would be, general hostility to the notion of ARIN asking for
> concrete documentation of the identities of the beneficial owners (say,
> for 25% ownership or above) of non-publicly-traded corporate entities
> to which ARIN assigns number resources.

One might term that “proactive implementation of Know Your Customer best-practices.”

In other words, look at what KYC processes regulators require of their regulated entities in other industries, and do the same, before someone thinks to require it of us.

I have neither an argument for or against that yet, need to think about it more, but a few points:

    - Doing that in any _substantial_ way would add expense, since it will dissuade some bad actors, but would encourage others to falsify documents or otherwise give ARIN staff the run-around.

    - It doesn’t appease your curiosity, since as I said before, the results of KYC documentation wouldn’t be made public.

                                -Bill