[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2017-8: Amend Community Networks

hostmaster at uneedus.com hostmaster at uneedus.com
Sun Jan 14 12:23:46 EST 2018

I support the changes you have made.

This language looks like it could support most types of community
networks, from the smallest neighbor-to-neighbor links, to larger more
formal networks like the Southeast Florida Library Information Network.

The fact that the Community network definition only technically covers
IPv6 resources should not be a problem.  If one were establishing a
community network today, it is clear the backbone would be IPv6 based.
With the costs involved in todays market of obtaining IPv4 resources, it
is very likely that any IPv4 connections would end up being routed thru
some kind of NAT, with the public addresses provided by the upstream(s)
being used.

For Florida, one of the largest is SEFLIN.  They are still IPv4 only,
obtaining many of its resources from Florida Atlantic University.  They
might simply get a block of IPv6 from FAU when they take the plunge into
dual stack.  However, even a larger network like theirs could benefit from
this policy, as even a /40 would still provide growth for new users.

Albert Erdmann
Network Administrator
Paradise On Line Inc.