[arin-ppml] Revised - Draft Policy ARIN-2017-9: Clarification of Initial Block Size for IPv4 ISP Transfers

Andrew Dul andrew.dul at quark.net
Thu Feb 15 19:32:11 EST 2018

Notes inline

On 2/12/2018 10:31 AM, David Farmer wrote:
> I need more input from the community on this one.  Unless you are one
> of the two people who has responded already, please take time to
> respond to the following questions.
>
> Thank you.
>
> On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 3:18 PM, David Farmer <farmer at umn.edu
> <mailto:farmer at umn.edu>> wrote:
>
>     There seems to be a bit of controversy on the direction to take
>     this policy.  Therefore as the shepherd, it would be helpful to
>     hear from additional community members regarding this policy.
>
>     Do you support or oppose the policy as written?

Oppose

>     Do you think the inconsistency described in the Problem Statement
>     should be corrected?

No

>     If yes, should it be corrected by revising by section 8.5.4 to be
>     consistent with section 4.2.2, as proposed by the current text?
>
>     Or, as an alternative by revising section 4.2.2 to be consistent
>     with section 8.5.4?
>
>     Are there other alternatives to correct the inconsistency to be
>     considered?
>
>     Other suggestions or comments?

I authored this proposal to bring up the issue as noted in the policy
experience report at the last meeting.   While I initially believed this
was an inconsistency that should be corrected, I no longer feel this is
the case after weighing the discussion by other community members.   I
believe that the current transfer policy requirements for an initial
block larger than a /24 as found in 8.5.5 are simple and can be easily
accomplished by an organization which desires to transfer a block larger
than a /24.  Adding additional complexity to the transfer policy is not
desired to correct a small inconsistency with the largely obsolete
section 4 allocation policy.

I do however believe a discussion should be held at the next public
policy meeting and if a solid direction cannot be found on this issue,
the AC should abandon this draft.

Andrew