[arin-ppml] Net-Neutrality and its impact

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Feb 9 11:46:33 EST 2018

On Fri, Feb 9, 2018 at 9:40 AM, Kevin Powell
<kevinpowell2005 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Any thoughts on the possible impact/implication of the move to end net
> neutrality, especially on developing countries like Jamaica and other
> Caribbean countries.

The whole thing is a farce.

QoS/traffic shaping is only used when the network is in bad shape to
begin with, i.e. ripe to be picked off by competitors. Adjusting the
rules about whether you're allowed to do traffic shaping won't impact
the abysmal technical conditions that have to exist for it to be
seriously considered.

Peering policy has and has had a more substantial impact on network
neutrality. All the big networks have closed peering policies.
Everyone who doesn't meet the criteria of "we can't force them to pay
and would look silly trying" gets roped in to the double-billing fraud
where each packet must be paid for both by the content provider and
the end user. And any existing peer who dares to defy us by accepting
a high rate customer we want to fleece gets punished  through the
simple expedient of not upgrading the data rates on the peered
connections. This was true under the FCC's so-called net neutrality
and it remains true now that net neutrality has been revoked.

So, this is off topic here; ARIN doesn't do routing and transit. NANOG
is probably a better forum for its discussion. But you asked...

Regards,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us
Dirtside Systems ......... Web: <http://www.dirtside.com/>