[arin-ppml] IPv6 Transfers (was :Draft Policy ARIN-2018-1: Allow Inter-regional ASN Transfers

Job Snijders job at instituut.net
Thu Feb 1 13:29:52 EST 2018

On Thu, Feb 01, 2018 at 06:21:06PM +0000, Roberts, Orin wrote:
> You could, but then IPv6 routing/fragmentation becomes an issue.

How so?

> Unless when an ASN is transferred from ARIN all IP networks associated
> to that ASN are revoked/removed/deleted from ARIN.  ie. I can acquire
> an ASN that currently exists at ARIN minus any associated IP networks,
> move it to APNIC/RIPE, then associate IP networks from APNIC/RIPE.
>
> ~the same for the reverse.
>
> A proviso would then be, only a clean(ed) ASN can be transferred in/out.

Why would one delete networks when an ASN is transferred? The IPs were
assigned according to whatever policy was applicable at that moment. IP
prefixes and ASNs are assigned independently from each other, according
to different policices, and as such it is logical that they are
transferable independently from each other.

Kind regards,

Job