[arin-ppml] ARIN-PPML 2018-1

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Mon Feb 5 10:11:27 EST 2018

On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 8:11 AM, Rudolph Daniel <rudi.daniel at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I need a small clarification.
> The Caribbean region has 3 RIRs
>
> St Lucia is ARIN, Trinidad is LACNIC and Martinique is RIPE
> If my base is arin and offer wholesale services to same geo. Region
> countries.. Trinidad (lacnic) and Martinique (Ripe), do i need 3 separate
> AS numbers?
>
> rd

As I said previously; there are no technical or policy requirements, at
least that I'm aware of, that an ASN only routes address blocks from the
same registry.  In other words, a RIPE ASN can route ARIN IP blocks and
vice versa. So, there is no requirement for you to use more than one ASN,
at least realted to the region an islands belong too. You may have other
reasons to use diffrent ASNs, like you have no network interconnecting your
seperate networks on each island, and have a seperate upstream provider on
each island.

By the way, both the RIPE and ARIN websites say Martinique its part of the
ARIN region.

https://www.arin.net/knowledge/rirs/ARINcountries.html
https://www.ripe.net/participate/member-support/list-of-members/list-of-country-codes-and-rirs

Thanks.

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE        Phone: 612-626-0815 <(612)%20626-0815>
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952 <(612)%20812-9952>