[arin-ppml] Violations of the ARIN AUP by marilson.mapa at gmail.com

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Sun Apr 22 12:04:01 EDT 2018

On 22 Apr 2018, at 6:07 AM, Marilson Mapa <marilson.mapa at gmail.com<mailto:marilson.mapa at gmail.com>> wrote:

I thought about changing the subject because I'm afraid to keep the same subject when replying to messages originating from ARIN ppml. But…

Marilson Mapa -

The subject of a post to arin-ppml doesn’t matter; it appears any message posted to arin-ppml results in the poster receiving a private email with spam of same subject (i.e. apparently the result of an arin-ppml list subscriber triggering a spam script.)

Nevertheless, I continued to receive requests to stop and offenses. Nine hours later there would be still someone that would call me an idiot and would ask for expulsion from the list. It became obvious that they used the return of spam to insult and ask for expulsion but the real reason was unconfessable. Truth always bothers those who despise ethics..

You received warning regarding violations of the ARIN Mailing List AUP and the specifics were already detailed in that warning message.   For avoidance of doubt, I will summarize them again here:  1) you made repeated attacks on the character of other persons in your emails, 2) you forwarded not one spam message but multiple spam emails to the list, and 3) these forwarded messages had pornographic attachments.

Despite the violations, you have not had posting privileges blocked, as it was apparent that you had ceased forwarding the referenced spam messages and has been hoped that you can maintain a professional demeanor going forward in your postings.  As you have already been warned, failure to follow the AUP going forward will result in an immediate suspension of your arin-ppml posting privileges.

Mr. John, I'm sorry but I need to ask: is it safe to reply to a message from the list using the same subject? Have you apologized to the members of the list for this unfortunate event?

We have not been able to isolate the subscriber email which triggers these replies (or it would have already been removed from the list.) These spam messages do not go to posters via ARIN’s email systems, so correlation is not readily achievable (and why some email lists have moved to anonymizing sender addresses so that email addresses of list participants cannot be readily extracted)

While we continue to work the problem, blocking the source address of the offending spam (which seems to be consistent as <samanthasmith691606  at lb.fefty.com<mailto:samanthasmith691606 at lb.fefty.com>>) will have to suffice for those posting to arin-ppml.   This has indeed been an unfortunate situation (one made worse through your repeated spam forwarding and character attacks) and I do apologize to the ARIN community for these recent distractions on what has otherwise been a very productive and focused list.

Thank you,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO