[arin-ppml] Recommended Draft Policy ARIN-2017-5: Improved IPv6 Registration Requirements

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Fri Sep 29 14:25:23 EDT 2017

I will note the standard will not universally be "should", if the reason
the endusers wants the prefix registered is they were given permission to
route it, or its shorter than /47, then the standard will be "shall",
because of the clauses in 6.5.5.1.

On Fri, Sep 29, 2017 at 8:58 AM, Jason Schiller <jschiller at google.com>
wrote:

> David, Kevin, Alison
>
> I am actually comfortable with an implementation that is short of
> revocation,
> but I am still not comfortable with "should".
>
> Should makes it optional.  Officially not being out of compliance with
> ARIN policy makes it optional.
>
> I suggest that an ISP refusing to register a downstream customer
> is out of compliance with ARIN policy, and not just choosing to ignore
> an optional recommendation.

Further, a "shall" standard would not allow the ISP or ARIN Staff any
discretion, with a "shall" standard the mere fact that the enduser made the
request means the ISP MUST make the registration, except for the reasons
explicitly provided in policy.  If the ISP has a valid reason, not
explicitly covered in policy, to not make the registration, a "should"
standard allows ARIN Staff to consider that on equal footing with the
reasons the enduser wants the registration.

If it is only "should" then an ISP can still hold the moral high ground
> while refusing to support SWIP on the grounds that they will not
> implement tooling and commit resources when it is only optional.
>
> It is a question of if you can hold someone accountable for not
> complying or if they are free to ignore something that is optional.

"Should" is not completely optional, it recognizes there could be valid
reasons for an exception. Where as, "shall" is required, unless an
exception is explicitly provided. "May" is completely optional.

Therefore, with a "should" standard, if the situation escalated to the
point of ARIN making an official inquiry, the ISP will need to articulate a
valid reason why they have not made the requested registration, that is at
least as compelling as the reason for the request by the enduser. Not doing
so would be tantamount to being out of compliance with ARIN policy.

Thanks.

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE        Phone: 612-626-0815 <(612)%20626-0815>
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952 <(612)%20812-9952>